Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Running for Montana Governor|
|Date of primary||June 5, 2012|
|General election||November 6, 2012|
|Montana Attorney General|
|2008 - Present|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|High school||Helena High School (1986)|
|Bachelor's||Claremont McKenna College|
|J.D.||Columbia University School of Law|
|Place of birth||Missoula, Montana|
Bullock began his career within the legal profession in 1996 serving as Chief Legal Counsel to the Montana Secretary of State advising the office in all legal matters. A year later, he joined the state's Justice Department, first as an Executive Assistant to the Attorney General then as acting Chief Deputy Attorney General, a role he maintained until 2001. It was also during this time that Bullock worked as Legislative Director, helping to coordinate the legislative efforts of the Attorney General's office.
Bullock returned to the private sector in 2001 as an attorney for the Washington, D.C.-based law firm of Steptoe & Johnson while simultaneously operating as an adjunct professor at George Washington University School of Law. Three years later, he moved back to Montana representing individuals, consumer organizations, labor unions, peace officers, associations of political subdivisions, and private businesses as an attorney.
Bullock and his wife Lisa have three children.
- Member, Board of Directors, Healthy Mothers-Healthy Babies
- Member, Public Policy Council, Montana Non-Profit Association
- Member, Gates of the Mountains Foundation
- Member, Lewis and Clark County Historic Preservation Commission
- Bachelor's degree, Claremont McKenna College
- Juris Doctorate degree, Columbia University School of Law
Attorney General (2009-Present)
On January 5, 2009, Steve Bullock was sworn into office as the state of Montana's twentieth Attorney General. As the state's chief lawyer and law enforcement officer, he leads the Montana Department of Justice whose divisions include the Forensic Science Laboratory, the Montana Highway Patrol, the Division of Motor Vehicles, the Office of Gambling Control, the Office of Legal Services, and the Division of Criminal Investigation, in addition to the department's information technology staff.
Initiatives that Steve Bullock has proposed as Attorney General include:
- Strong enforcement and prosecution under Montana's sexual predator laws and ensuring that offenders comply with the legal requirements of Montana's Sexual or Violent Offender Registry.
- Creating a position for a special prosecutor within the Attorney General's office to focus exclusively on crimes against children.
- Developing a Children's Justice Center within the Montana Department of Justice which specalizes efforts to enforce laws relating to sexual violence against children, and to improve the services to child victims; an
- Providing support and resources to local law enforcement and Montana's county attorneys.
- Public access to Montana's streams and public lands
- See also: Montana gubernatorial election, 2012
|2008 Race for Attorney General - Democratic Primary |
|Democratic Party||Steve Bullock||42.0%|
|Democratic Party||Mike Wheat||36.5%|
|Democratic Party||John Parker||21.5%|
|2008 Race for Attorney General - General Election |
|Democratic Party||Steve Bullock||52.6%|
|Republican Party||Tim Fox||47.4%|
|2008 Race for Attorney General - Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Primary Opponent||$146,498|
|Total Raised by Gen. Election Opponent||$334,491|
|Top 5 Contributors|| Steve Bullock $26,836 (6.05% of Total)|
| Montana DNC $9,188 (2.07%)|
| Jun Y. Lee $810 (0.18%)|
| Glacier PAC $620 (0.14%)|
|Mary Alice McLarty $620 (0.14%)|
|Individuals v. Institutions||$379,902 (85.6%)|
|In v. Outside State||$309,981 (82.2%)|
Attorney General Steve Bullock
Department of Justice
P.O. Box 201401
Helena, MT 59620-1401
Phone: (406) 444-2026
Fax: (406) 444-3549
- Official Montana Attorney General website
- Project Vote Smart - Steve Bullock biography
- Bullock's official campaign website
- Bullock's gubernatorial campaign on YouTube
- Bullock's gubernatorial campaign page on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2000
- SteveBullock.com, "Steve Bolluck for Montana Governor," accessed September 28, 2011
- Missoulian, "Bullock announces Democratic run for governor via Internet, Billings event," September 7, 2011
- Montana Secretary of State - 2008 Primary Election Results
- Montana Secretary of State - 2008 General Election Results
|Montana Attorney General
| Succeeded by|