|U.S. House, Montana|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Predecessor||Denny Rehberg (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Bozeman High School|
|Bachelor's||Montana State University|
|Date of birth||August 20, 1962|
|Place of birth||Bozemand, Montana|
Daines won election on November 6, 2012.
Based on analysis of multiple outside rankings, Daines is an average Republican member of Congress, meaning he will vote with the Republican Party on the majority of bills.
Daines is a graduate of Montana State University. He worked for Procter & Gamble for 13 years, both in the States and abroad. In 1997, he and his family returned to Bozeman, where Daines joined RightNow Technologies, a start-up business that went public in 2004. In 2007, Daines served as then-Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee's Montana campaign chairman. He was the 2008 Republican nominee for Lieutenant Governor. 
Daines serves on the following committees:
- United States House Committee on Homeland Security
- Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Security Technologies
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
- Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs
- Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources
- Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation
- United States House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
|U.S. House, Montana, At-Large District General Election, 2012|
|Source: Montana Secretary of State "2012 Election Center"|
|Montana's At-large Congressional District Republican Primary, 2012|
|Gillan vs. Daines|
|Poll||Kim Gillan||Steve Daines||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Public Policy Polling (September 10&11, 2012)||37%||40%||9%||15%||+/-3.8||656|
|Mason-Dixon Polling (September 22, 2012)||38%||46%||2%||14%||+/-4||625|
|Public Policy Polling (October 10, 2012)||34%||43%||10%||12%||+/-3.6||737|
|Pharos Research Group |
(October 26-28, 2012)
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
Comprehensive donor information for Daines is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Daines raised a total of $1,830,491 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 16, 2013.
|Steve Daines's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||U.S. House, Montana||$1,830,491|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,830,491|
|United States House of Representatives, 2012 - Steve Daines Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$992,911|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$991,016|
|Top contributors to Steve Daines's campaign committee|
|Langlas & Assoc||$14,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Oil & Gas||$108,270|
Voting with party
Steve Daines voted with the Republican Party 96.7% of the time, which ranked 92nd among the 234 House Republican members as of June 2013.
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Daines missed 0 of 92 roll call votes from Jan 2013 to Apr 2013, which is 0.0% of votes during that period. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. 
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Daines's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $4,695,012 and $22,999,999. That averages to $13,847,505, which is higher than the average net worth of Republican Representatives in 2011 of $7,859,232.
Daines has been married to his wife, Cindy, for twenty four years. They have four children and live in Bozeman, MT.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Steve + Daines + Montana + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Financial (state level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Collected news and commentary about Steve Daines at the Billings Gazette
- Steve Daines Business Blog
- RightNow Technologies at Wikipedia
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Montana"
- Steve Daines for Congress "Meet Steve" April 18, 2012
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- KXLF "Bozeman's Steve Daines comments on switching from Senate to House race" Accessed February 4, 2012
- Montana Secretary of State "2012 Primary Results"
- Open Secrets "Steven Daines" Accessed May 16, 2013
- Open Secrets " 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed June 17, 2013
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
- GovTrack, "Steve Daines" Accessed March 26, 2013
- OpenSecrets.org, "Steven Daines (R-Mont), 2011"
- Official Campaign Site "Meet Steve" Accessed February 4, 2012
Denny Rehberg (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Montana At-large District
| Succeeded by|