|U.S. Senate, New Jersey|
Relief for Hurricane Sandy
In an interview on UP with Steve Kornacki, Lonegan called federal relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy, the superstorm that devastated the Jersey Shore in October 2012, “over the top.”
“I disagreed with Governor Christie and President Obama on Hurricane Sandy funding,” he told MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki on August 24, 2013. “I thought it was just too much money.” Lonegan said he was concerned that there weren’t enough safeguards to ensure money went to homeowners instead of government programs, saying “There’s all kinds of pork barrel spending in that bill.”
Lonegan also said he would support shutting down the government in order to eliminate funding for the Affordable Care Act. “Yes. In fact, I think it’s time to draw a line in the sand on the spending problem that’s taking place in this country, this explosion of debt reliance on government,” he said.
Lonegan is seeking election to the United States Senate seat vacated by Frank Lautenberg, after his death on June 3, 2013. The Republican primary took place on August 13, 2013. He defeated challenger Alieta Eck in the Republican primary on August 13, 2013. Lonegan will face Cory Booker in the general election on October 16, 2013.
When questioned about whether he would endorse Lonegan (R) in the Senate race, Gov. Christie responded by saying, "I've got my own campaign to run, first off. And so to the extent that I can be helpful to the Republican nominee, whoever that turns out to be, I’m sure that I’ll find some time to be helpful, but I have my own campaign to run at the same time and so my focus will be on my campaign."
|U.S. Senate, New Jersey Special Republican Primary, 2013|
|Source: Official Election Results from New Jersey Division of Elections|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Steve + Lonegan + New Jersey + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Politicker NJ "Lonegan running for US Senate; Doherty backing him" Accessed June 6, 2013
- WNYC, "Election 2013," accessed August 13, 2013
- MNSBC, "NJ Senate candidate: Sandy recovery funds were ‘over the top’," accessed August 27, 2013
- NJ.com "Christie on endorsing Lonegan: 'I've got my own campaign to run'" Accessed June 19, 2013
- New Jersey Division of Elections, "Unofficial Primary Special Election Results," accessed November 7, 2013