For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Steve Madison recall, Pasadena, California (2013)
An effort to recall Steve Madison from his position on the city council of Pasadena, California, was launched in November 2012, with initial recall paperwork filed in January 2013. The effort to qualify the recall question for the ballot was, however, abandoned short of going to a vote.
Reasons for recall
The catalyst for recall was Madison's vote, on November 19, 2012, to certify an environmental impact report and change a city ordinance, paving the way for the National Football League to temporarily play at the Rose Bowl. Some homeowners in the area surrounding the stadium are resistant to the idea of NFL games being played in the neighborhood. Recall supporters stated that, "Mr. Madison is willing to sell our precious weekend and family time to the highest bidder...Mr. Madison must be replaced with a representative committed to protecting our quality of life." Madison says, "This is really about politics and not the issue at hand...These are the same people who opposed me last year in my reelection. These are the same people who talk openly about opposing my run for mayor."
Michael Vogler filed the recall paperwork. Vogler said that Madison “no longer represents the interests of his constituents” and so he “must be removed from office.” Madison called the recall attempt against him "misguided," saying it was an attempt to “circumvent the will of the voters."
Madison represents District 6.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
Recall supporters had 120 days from March 1 to submit 2,866 signatures (20% of registered voters in Madison's district). No signatures were submitted by the July 1, 2013 deadline, bringing the recall effort to a close.
Recall supporters originally said they planned to serve Madison with recall papers by early December 2012. Recall paperwork featuring the signatures of 33 Pasadena residents was filed on January 10, 2013.
- Pasadena Star-News, "Pasadena residents ready to recall Councilman Steve Madison for NFL vote", November 23, 2012
- Pasadena Weekly, "Effort to remove District 6 City Councilman Steve Madison fails," July 10, 2013
- The Pasadena Star-News, "Campaign to recall Pasadena Councilman Steve Madison officially fizzles," August 5, 2013
- Pasadena Sun, "Pasadena councilman files rebuttal to recall petition sparked by his NFL stance", January 17, 2013
- Pasadena Sun, "Pasadena councilman faces recall effort for supporting NFL games at Rose Bowl", January 10, 2013