Steve Martin (Virginia)
|Running for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia|
|Date of primary||May 18, 2013|
|General election||November 5, 2013|
|Virginia Senate District 11|
|1994 - Present|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Place of birth||Chesterfield County, VA|
Martin was educated at Lynchburg Christian Academy. Martin is a CLU, Insurance Consultant and Securities Dealer and principal in Martin Financial Services. Martin is a member of Swift Creek Baptist Church. Previously, Martin was a member of the House of Delegates from 1988-94.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Martin served on the following committees:
- Commerce and Labor Committee
- Education and Health, Chairman
- General Laws and Technology
- Local Government
- Privileges and Elections
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Martin served on the following committees:
The Republican Party of Virginia is holding a closed primary convention on May 17-18, 2013 to nominate its candidates for governor, lt. governor, and attorney general. The candidate in each field who receives the highest number of delegate votes at the convention will advance to the November 5, 2013 general election.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Martin raised $297,893 for his campaign while McMurtrie raised $82,987; Habeck raised $104,491; and Cook raised $694.
|Virginia State Senate, District 11 (2007)|
|Stephen Martin (R)||16,478||62.41%|
|Alex McMurtrie (D)||4,852||18.37%|
|Roger Habeck (I)||3,879||14.69%|
|Hank Cook (I)||1,138||4.31%|
In 2011, Martin received $161,047 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Martin (Virginia)'s campaign in 2011|
|Virginia Senate Republican Caucus||$4,222|
|Virginia Health Care Association||$3,000|
|Virginia Dental Association||$3,000|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Association||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$161,047|
Below are Martin's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Virginia Senate Leadership Trust||$20,000|
|Home Builders Association of Virginia||$11,452|
|Virginia Dental Association||$5,663|
|Federal Victory Fund||$5,000|
Martin's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "It is our responsibility to assure a quality educational opportunity for all of Virginia’s children, regardless of their geography or family’s financial condition. Many have the financial means to choose where their children will attend school by purchasing their homes in the right neighborhood or their willingness to pay the necessary tuition. "
- Family Matters
- Excerpt: "I believe that life is sacred, must be protected and begins at conception...I truly believe that marriage, properly defined, can only exist between one man and one woman."
- Eminent Domain
- Excerpt: "No one should have their property taken from them for another’s personal gain, an increase in tax revenue or for an increase in employment."
- Immigration Reform
- Excerpt: "As a state we alone cannot stop the infusion of illegal immigrants, but we can remove incentives. I will take the lead with compassionate initiatives to protect US citizens and taxpayers from those who would break our laws. To do so, we need to make sure law enforcement is well equipped to address illegal immigration issues locally when the federal government falls short."
- Public Safety
- Excerpt: "Organized gangs are on the rise in Chesterfield and Colonial Heights, as is the violence and the havoc they wreak. I appreciate the work that our Chesterfield and Colonial Heights Police Forces are doing to combat this menace. However, the problem exists around the entire Commonwealth."
- Jobs and Economic Opportunity
- Excerpt: "I tell the employers in our area that the best thing they can do for me is to keep my fellow citizens well employed. That being true, it is my job to help maintain a business-friendly environment so that these businesses can prosper."
- Taxes and Spending
- Excerpt: "Forty percent of the average family’s earnings go to pay taxes at the federal, state or local level. Virginians don’t mind paying taxes if it is fair and the money is wisely spent. As your Senator, I have and will continue to fight against efforts to raise your taxes for every excuse that comes around the corner."
- Excerpt: "First, funds that are dedicated to meet our transportation needs in our Transportation Trust Fund should not be at risk of being diverted to pay for other non-transportation programs or projects. We need to restore “trust” to the trust fund."
Martin was born in Chesterfield County, Virginia on June 15, 1956.
- Virginia Senate
- Virginia lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2013
- Virginia state executive official elections, 2013
- Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Stephen Martin's personal website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Sen. Martin on State Surge
- Campaign contributions:1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
|Virginia Senate District 11
| Succeeded by|