|U.S. Senate, Maine|
|January 3, 1997-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||18|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|First elected||November 5, 1996|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Caribou High School|
|Bachelor's||St. Lawrence University|
|Date of birth||December 7, 1952|
|Place of birth||Caribou, ME|
Sanders was born in 1952 in Caribou, ME, where she also attended high school. She earned her B.A. from St. Lawrence University in 1975. Before seeking office herself, Collins had worked on the staff of now-former Senator William S. Cohen.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Collins' professional and political career:
- Staff Director of the Senate Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on the Oversight of Government Management, 1981-1987
- Commissioner of the Maine Department of Professional and Financial Regulation, 1987-1992
- New England Regional Director, United States Small Business Administration, 1992
- Deputy State Treasurer of the State of Massachusetts, 1993
- U.S. Senate, 1997-Present
Collins serves on the following Senate committees:
- Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Ranking Member
- Appropriations Committee
- Armed Services Committee
- Special Committee on Aging
|U.S. Senate General Election, Maine, 2008|
|Republican||Susan Collins Incumbent||61.3%||444,300|
|Democratic||Thomas H. Allen||38.6%||279,510|
Collins won re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2008. During that re-election cycle, Collins' campaign committee raised a total of $8,039,750 and spent $7,996,626.
|U.S. Senate, Maine, 2008 - Susan Collins Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$5,998,773|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$6,462,451|
|Top contributors to Susan Collins's campaign committee|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$378,233|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Collins paid her congressional staff a total of $2,549,604 in 2011. She ranks 16th on the list of the highest paid Republican Senatorial Staff Salaries and she ranks 50th overall of the lowest paid Senatorial Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Maine ranks 41st in average salary for senatorial staff. The average U.S. Senate congressional staff was paid $2,529,141.70 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Collins' net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $145,005 and $350,000. That averages to $247,502.50, which is lower than the average net worth of Republican Senators in 2010 of $7,054,258.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Susan + Collins + Maine + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Collins lives in Bangor, Maine. In August 2012 she married Thomas Daffron, chief operating officer of Jefferson Consulting Group, a lobbying and consulting firm in Washington, and a former chief of staff to Senators William Cohen, Fred Thompson and Lisa Murkowski. This is her first marriage, his second.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Susan Collins," Accessed March 3, 2012
- Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "Susan Collins," Accessed October 25, 2011
- Official Senate Website "Committee Assignments," Accessed October 25, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008" Accessed October 25, 2011
- Open Secrets "Susan Collins 2008 Election Cycle," Accessed October 25, 2011
- LegiStorm "Susan Collins"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Collins, (R-Maine), 2010"
- Official Senate Page "Biography," Accessed October 25, 2011
- Susan Collins and Thomas Daffron, The New York Times, August 12, 2012
|U.S. Senate - Maine
| Succeeded by|