|Texas State House, District 71|
|2007 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Prior to her election, King served as Member/Board President of the Abilene Independent School District Board of Trustees. King is Co-Owner/Co-Director/Surgical Nurse at the Elm Place Ambulatory Surgical Center. She has worked as Supervisor of In-Service Education and Operating Room Curriculum, and Co-Director of Surgery at Saint Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Texas Children's Hospital, and the Texas Heart Institute.
King is a member of the Abilene Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Abilene Chamber Military Affairs Committee, Abilene Community Theatre Board, Abilene Philharmonic Board, Abilene Preservation League, Farm Bureau, Kappa Alpha Theta, and the National Rifle Association.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, King served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• House Administration|
|• Public Health|
During the 2011-2012 legislative session, King served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• House Administration|
|• Public Health|
- HB 175 - Relating to continuing education and training for peace officers relating to the investigation and prevention of drive-by shootings.
- HB 1175 - Relating to allowing the governing bodies of certain municipalities to order a local option election relating to the sale of alcoholic beverages.
- HB 3714 - Relating to public school career and technology education program curriculum and funding and to development of a list of high-demand occupations for career and technology education students.
- HB 3715 - Relating to identification of certain persons employed to assist a registered lobbyist.
King ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 71. King ran unopposed in the May 29 primary election. She was unchallenged in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 71 |
2010 General election results
|Susan King (R)||24,467||88.07%|
|Fred Jones (L)||3,313||11.92%|
On November 4, 2008, King won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from Texas's 71st District, defeating Michael Walton (L). King received 40,381 votes in the election while Walton received 5,346 votes. King raised $151,623 for her campaign.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 71|
|Susan King (R)||40,381||88.30%|
|Michael Walton (L)||5,346||11.69%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
King raised a total of $199,162 in 2010. Below are Sheffield's top five campaign contributors in the 2010 election:
|Texas Medical Association||$5,056|
|Stai, Dian Graves||$5,000|
|Texas Optometric Association||$4,000|
Below are King's top five campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Texas Medical Assoc||$6,080|
|Bob J Perry||$5,000|
|Charles C Butt||$5,000|
|Mrs J J Matthews||$5,000|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Susan King received a grade of C on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Susan + King + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. King
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Freedom Speaks profile (Archive)
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 71 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Vote for Susan King Facebook group
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. King
- Reporternews.com,"Susan King named vice chair of legislative rural caucus", February 28 2011
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. King
- Texas GOP list of candidates for 2012 Elections
- Texas Secretary of State Election History
- Official Texas Election Results
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 71 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
|Texas House District 71
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |