|Iowa Utilities Board|
|April 30, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Terry Branstad (R)|
|Iowa State Senate District 18|
|2009 - September 2011|
|Iowa House of Representatives|
|2002 - 2008|
|Bachelor's||Nagpur University (1971)|
|Birthday||March 6, 1951|
|Place of birth||Nagpur, India|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections/Appointments
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Personal
- 6 Recent news
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Dandekar's resignation from the Iowa Utilities Board, effective July 22, 2013, will create an unscheduled vacancy which will have to be filled by appointment. Gov. Terry Branstad (R) originally appointed Dandekar in 2011 for an abbreviated term set to expire in April of 2015. Her appointment was a consequence of another board member who had resigned early, and once Dandekar's seat is officially vacant, Branstad will name her replacement as well.
Dandekar was on the Linn-Mar Community School District Board of Education from 1996 to 2002. She served in the Iowa State House of Representatives from 2002 to 2008. She then joined the Iowa State Senate in 2009.
Dandekar resigned from the Iowa State Senate in September 2011 after she was appointed to the Iowa Utilities Board by Republican Governor Terry Branstad. Prior to her resignation, the partisan balance of Senate favored Democrats 26-24.
Dandekar earned her BS in Biology/Chemistry from Nagpur University in 1971. She went on to earn her Post-Graduate Diploma in Dietetics from Bombay University in 1972.
Iowa Utilities Board (2011-present)
Iowa State Senate (2009-2011)
Dandekar served in the Iowa State Senate from 2009 until her appointment to the IUB in September 2011.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Dandekar was appointed to these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Dandekar served on these committees:
- Commerce Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Economic Growth Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Rebuild Iowa Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Transportation Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Ways and Means Committee, Iowa State Senate
Iowa House of Representatives (2002-2008)
Dandekar was a member of the Iowa House of Representatives from 2002 to 2008.
Dandekar is potentially running for election to the U.S. House, representing the 1st congressional district of Iowa. She would seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
On November 4, 2008, Dandekar was elected to the 18th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Joe Childers (R).  Dandekar raised $243,496 for her campaign, while Childers raised $22,578. 
|Iowa State Senate, District 18 (2008)|
|Swati Dandekar (D)||20,667|
|Joe Childers (R)||17,367|
Comprehensive donor information for Dandekar is available dating back to 2002. Based on available campaign finance records, Dandekar raised a total of $623,089 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 11, 2013.
In 2008 Dandekar collected $243,496 in donations.
Her four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Democratic Party||$33,938|
|All Children Matter||$31,982|
|Iowa Senate Democratic Majority Fund||$11,165|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$6,078|
Dandekar and her husband, Arvid, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Swati + Dandekar + Iowa "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa Utilities Board - Swati Dandekar
- Sen. Dandekar's Website
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Swati Dandekar
- Iowa State Senate Website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Swati Dandekar on Facebook
- The Gazette "Dandekar steps down from Iowa Utilities Board to explore run for Congress" Accessed July 12, 2013
- DeMoines Register, "Swati Dandekar resigns from Iowa Utilities Board, perhaps hinting at Congressional candidacy," July 9, 2013
- [blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/07/09/swati-dandekar-resigns-from-iowa-utilities-board-perhaps-hinting-at-congresssional-candidacy/article Des Moines Register "Swati Dandekar resigns from Iowa Utilities Board, perhaps hinting at Congressional candidacy" Accessed July 12, 2013]
- Stateline, "Iowa Senate control at stake in November special election," September 19
- Governor Terry Branstad, "Special Election Proclamation," September 19, 2011
- Governor Branstad, Press Release, "Gov. Branstad names Senator Swati Dandekar to Iowa Utilities Board," September 16, 2011
- Globe Gazette "Dandekar resigns from state post to explore U.S. House race" Accessed July 12, 2013
- Office of the Governor of Iowa, "Gov. Branstad names Senator Swati Dandekar to Iowa Utilities Board," September 16, 2011
- 2008 Iowa Election Results
- 2008 Money Raised, Iowa Candidates
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Swati A. Dandekar," accessed July 11, 2013
- 2008 Contributions to Swati Dandekar
|Iowa Utilities Board
| Succeeded by|
Mary A. Lundby
|Iowa State Senate District 18
| Succeeded by|
Liz Mathis (D)