T. Monty Mason
|T. Monty Mason|
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 93|
|January 8, 2014|
|January 13, 2016|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||College of William and Mary, 1989|
|Profession||Credit and finance industries|
Mason graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1989 with a bachelor's degree in government. He worked as a Senior Director at Visa, Inc., focusing on fraud prevention. He has also worked with real estate transactions, title insurance, and in finance.
Mason’s website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "There is no better example of the surge to the right than the requirement of medically unnecessary procedures, onerous building code requirements, and the constant attack on a woman’s right to choose under the guise of it being for their protection. ...Equality for ALL regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation is a must in our country and state. ...Voter ID laws with the absence of evidence of fraud and restrictive absentee laws reduce turnout and disproportionately impact certain segments of society."
- Excerpt: "Diversify our local economy. We must take advantage of the highly trained workers around the shipyard, those leaving the military, and the intellectual capital from our Colleges and Universities to drive job growth. I believe that this area is not just a great place to visit, but a great place to live and work."
- Excerpt: "We should strive to have all children enter our educational system with a strong foundation in order to provide the same high quality education to all students, not just those who can afford it. ...Overturn the A-F grading system for schools. We are all for accountability in our schools but this is an absurdly simplistic approach to a complex problem. The portion of this legislation that also allows the state to take over failing schools also seems to be an unconstitutional power grab by the state from elected school boards and county/city governments."
- Excerpt: "We must have an accounting of bridges and tunnels that are decaying and focus on fixing existing infrastructure while expanding our road system. ...Widening 64 up to Williamsburg to 199 is a start but simply “kicks the can up the road”. The improvement of the Fort Eustis interchange is long overdue and welcome but we must determine how to cross Queen’s Creek and utilize existing right of ways to get three lanes to Richmond. ...We must increase the reliability of rail travel on the Virginia Peninsula."
Mason won the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 93. Mason ran unopposed in the June 11th Democratic Primary. He defeated incumbent Michael Watson (R) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 93 General Election, 2013|
|Democratic||T. Monty Mason||52.1%||12,132|
|Republican||Michael Watson Incumbent||47.6%||11,094|
Incumbent Michael Watson (R), who chose to make a bid for his second term, won less than 52 percent of the vote in his first election in a district that President Barack Obama (D) carried with 57 percent of the vote in 2012 and Governor Bob McDonnell (R) won with 55 percent of the vote in 2009. Mason, his Democratic challenger, is a first-time candidate and a director at Visa who earned the support of Democracy for America. Some observers considered this race one of the most competitive in the state going into the fall of 2013. Both candidates had television advertisements running by late September.
Mason and his wife, Pamela, have two children, Taylor Anne and Hawley. They live in Williamsburg, VA. Mason has served "as chairman of the Williamsburg Economic Development Authority, on the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance Board, the Historic Triangle Collaborative Economic Diversity Task Force, and the development committee of Child Development Resources."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Monty + Mason + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Del. Mason's website
- Campaign website
- Candidate Facebook page
- Democracy for America profile
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Vote VA profile
- Democratic Party of Virginia profile
- Red Clay Politics profile
- Monty Mason for Deleagte, "About Monty," accessed September 20, 2013
- Monty Mason for Deleagte, "On the Issues," accessed September 20, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Democracy for America, "Monty Mason for Delegate," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- Daily Press, "Mason, Watson both on TV in 93rd Delegate District race," September 24, 2013
- Virginia Public Access Project, "House of Delegates District 93," accessed October 4, 2013
Michael Watson (R)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 93
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |