|U.S. House, Illinois, District 8|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Predecessor||Joe Walsh (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Hawaii|
|Master's||George Washington University|
|Service/branch||Illinois Army National Guard|
|Years of service||1992-Present|
|Birthday||March 12, 1968|
|Place of birth||Bangkok, Thailand|
Duckworth is a graduate of the University of Hawaii and received a Masters of Arts in International Affairs from the George Washington University. 
Below is an abbreviated outline of Duckworth's academic, professional and political career
- 2009-2011: Assistant secretary, U.S. Veterans Affairs Department
- 2006-2009: Director, Illinois Veterans Affairs Department
- 2003-2004: Manager, Rotary International
- 1992-Present: Army National Guard
- 1990-1992: Attended George Washington University, earned a M.A.
- 1986-1989: Attended University of Hawaii, earned a B.A.
According to Duckworth's website, her campaign themes included:
- Economy: "Small businesses are critical to the success of our economy. Without the ingenuity and determination that small businesses exhibit everyday in the 8th District, our economy could not thrive."
- Education: "Education is a valuable resource that we need to invest in now to bolster our economic future. We need to invest in our public schools to make them better and more competitive."
- Energy: "We need to think creatively about how to build an economy that is less dependent on foreign oil and instead champions American clean energy innovations. We need to build the foundation for a clean energy economy."
Duckworth serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces
- Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations
- Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Job Creation, and Regulatory Affairs
- Subcommittee on Energy Policy, Health Care, and Entitlements
Duckworth defeated incumbent Joe Walsh. Duckworth ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 8th District. Duckworth had sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket.  The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Joe Walsh had sought re-election on the Republican ticket.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Joe Walsh Incumbent||45.3%||101,860|
|Independent||Robert Gregory Canfield||0%||0|
|Source: Illinois Board of Elections "2012 General Election Official Vote Totals"|
Duckworth had secured the backing of most of Illinois' influential political figures in the Democratic primary against Raja Krishnamoorthi. The two are vying to take on Joe Walsh in a "Democratic-leaning, suburban Chicago district", and whoever wins is the likely favorite in the general election.
Duckworth had endorsements from Dick Durbin, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, and Obama advisor David Axelrod. Krishnamoorthi is supported by Danny K. Davis and Cook County Board Chair Toni Preckwinkle.
Duckworth defeated Raja Krishnamoorthi in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Joe Walsh ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Duckworth will face off against Walsh in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Illinois' 8th Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|8th Congressional District Race|
|Poll||Tammy Duckworth||Joe Walsh||Undecided||Sample Size|
|"2012 District 8 Poll" September 18-20||52%||38%||10%||508|
|"Illinois 8th Congressional District Poll" October 25-26||54%||40%||5%||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois' 8th Congressional District, 2012 - Tammy Duckworth Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$2,011,080|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$1,995,015|
|Top contributors to Tammy Duckworth's campaign committee|
|Thornton & Naumes||$22,500|
|Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte||$20,500|
|Kirkland & Ellis||$18,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
According to a report on July 12, 2012, Duckworth raised $886,000 in the second quarter.
Duckworth raised over $1.5 million in the third quarter. On October 15, 2012, quarterly reports were submitted by campaigns to the Federal Election Commission. The political blog Daily Kos did an analysis of the fundraising figures and found Democratic challenger Tammy Duckworth outraised Republican incumbent Joe Walsh in the third quarter. Duckworth raised $1,508,000 and has $763,000 cash-on-hand to Walsh's $254,000 in fundraising and $592,000 cash-on-hand.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Duckworth's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $18,046 and $923,998. That averages to $471,022, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2011 of $5,107,874.
National Journal vote ratings
- See also: National Journal vote ratings
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Information on 2012 vote rating is unavailable.
On November 12th, 2004, while serving in Iraq as a Black Hawk helicopter pilot, Duckworth's helicopter was hit by an RPG. Duckworth lost both legs and part of the use of her right arm in the explosion, and was awarded the Purple Heart for her combat injuries.  Duckworth and her husband Bryan, an Army Major, live in Hoffman Estates where their home was rebuilt for wheelchair access in 2005 by her fellow soldiers and friends. Despite her injuries, she continues to drill as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Illinois Army National Guard. 
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Works by or about:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- The Hill "Illinois House races heating up" Accessed March 12, 2012
- ABC News 7 "Election Results Primary 2012" Accessed March 20, 2012
- Tammy Duckworth for Congress "About Tammy" Accessed January 14, 2012
- National Journal, "Illinois, 8th House District," November 6, 2012
- Tammy Duckworth for Congress, "Issues," Accessed September 27, 2012
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Illinois"
- Chicago Tribune "Duckworth to file for congressional race" Accessed December 5, 2011
- Open Secrets "Tammy Duckworth 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed February 22, 2013
- Tammy Duckworth "Duckworth Breaks One Million Raised For General Election" Accessed July 17, 2012
- Tammy Duckworth's campaign website
- Daily Kos "Third quarter House fundraising: who's got the cash?" October 18, 2012
- OpenSecrets.org, "Duckworth (D-Ill), 2011"
Joe Walsh (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Illinois, District 8
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |