Tennessee Commissioner of Education
|Tennessee Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2012 FY Budget:||$5,369,515,900|
|Authority:||Tennessee Code, Title 49, Chapter 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||April 2011|
|Other Tennessee Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Kevin Huffman.
Title 49, Chapter 1, Parts 1-101 and 1-102 of the Tennessee code establish the department of the education and the director of schools:
|System established. There is established a system of public education.|
|Administration generally. (a) The system of public education in this state shall be governed in accordance with laws enacted by the general assembly and under policies, standards, and guidelines adopted by the state board of education that are necessary for the proper operation of public education in kindergarten through grade twelve (K-12). The policies, standards and guidelines shall be formulated by the state board of education, with such assistance from the commissioner of education as the state board may request.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Tennessee Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the method of selection and term limits (if any exist) for a state executive office. That information for the Tennessee Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify satisfactory information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Tennessee Commissioner of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The powers and duties of the commissioner are outlined in Title 49, Chapter 1, Part 2 of the Tennessee code:
- responsible for implementation of law or policies established by the general assembly or the state board of education
- attend all meetings of the state board of education
- provide direction through administrative and supervisory activities designed to build and maintain an effective organization as follows:
- employ and supervise the personnel within the department
- collect and publish statistics and other information relative to the public school system
- make tours of inspection and survey among the public schools throughout the state and to direct supervision through the divisions of the department
- require all teachers to attend county institutes or educational meetings on the date, at the hour and place designated by the county director of schools; provided, that schools shall not be suspended for more than ten (10) days in one (1) year; and provided further, that the place of the meeting shall be in the county where the school is located;
- see that the school laws and the regulations of the state board of education are faithfully executed;
- prepare and distribute blank forms for all reports required by law or by the commissioner to be made by teachers, boards of education, directors of schools, county trustees and all other state, county and city officers;
- distribute in electronic format to the local boards of education, at the conclusion of each regular session of the general assembly, copies of newly enacted public chapters pertaining to public education;
- require all state and local public school officers and heads of state educational institutions under the department or the state board of education to submit detailed reports annually; and, in case of emergency, the commissioner may require special reports at any time of any officer connected with the public school system;
- appoint someone to make reports required to be made by the state or local public school officers and heads of state institutions named in this section when such officers fail to make full and accurate reports at the time designated, and to allow the appointee compensation not to exceed five dollars ($5.00) per day for the time actually employed in making the reports for the appointee's service, which shall be paid by the delinquent public school officer or the head of the state educational institution. Upon the refusal of the delinquent officer or head of the state educational institution to pay the compensation, the commissioner shall deduct that amount out of the state supplement to the delinquent officer's or head's salary or compensation and require the county trustee or other custodian of public school funds to withhold that amount out of any salary that may be due the delinquent officer;
- preserve in the commissioner's office all official documents and matters in relation to educational subjects that may come into it;
For a complete list of statutory duties, click here.
- Accountability, Teaching and Learning
- Assessment, Evaluation and Research
- Business Services
- Career & Technical Education
- Civil Rights
- Coordinated School Health
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Data Services
- Early Learning
- Facilities Management
- Federal Programs
- Field Service Centers
- Instructional Leadership
- LEA Support Services
- Legal Services
- Local Education Agency Operations
- Personnel & Human Resources
- Resources & Support
- Safe & Supportive Schools
- School Approval
- School Nutrition Services
- Special Education
- Teacher Licensing
- Teaching & Learning
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2011-2012 was $5,369,515,900.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Tennessee Commissioner of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tennessee + Commissioner + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Tennessee Department of Education
710 James Robertson Parkway
Andrew Johnson Tower, 6th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-0382
Phone: (615) 741-5158
E-mail: Education comments