Terry E. Branstad
|Terry E. Branstad|
|Candidate for Iowa Governor
Terry Branstad is an Iowa native, originally deriving form Norwegian ancestry. He studied at the Unveristy of Iowa and at Drake University, finishing his law degree in 1974. In between his undergraduate and graduate schooling, Branstad joined the Army and served in Vietnam from 1969 to 1971, earning the Army Commendation Medal.
Following three terms in Iowa's House of Representatives, Terry was elected Lt. Governor in 1978. In the following election cycle, he won the governorship.
36 at the time he entered the governor's office, he holds the distinction of being Iowa's youngest chief executive. Branstad's first stint as governor, covering four terms from 1983 to 1999, makes him Iowa's longest serving governor.
In 1991, he earned the perpetual animosity of organized labor when he vetoed a salary bill for labor unions in spite of binding arbitration. The union sued and eventually won, in AFSCME Iowa Council 61 et al., v. Branstad.
Beginning in 2003, Branstad spent slightly over six years as President of Des Moines University, boosting the school's graduate ranking and seeing DMU become the Wellness Council of America's first Platinum Recognition university.
He also founded the law firm of Branstad and Associates, L.L.C and additionally accepted a partnership in Kaufman, Patee, Branstad & Miller. Simultaneously, Branstad served as financial adviser to Robert W. Baird and Co., Inc. and was a visiting professor at the University of Iowa. His appointment as Des Moines University's leader came after President George W. Bush named him head of the President's Commission for Excellence in Special Education.
He retired from DMU in October of 2009 to launch a gubernatorial exploratory committee and officially entered the race in January of 2010.
Terry and Chris Branstad have three grown children and four grandchildren.
- Drake University School of Law, J.D., 1974
- University of Iowa, B.A., 1969
- Chair of the National Governors Association, 1989-1990
- Past Chair of the Midwestern Governors Association
- Chair of the Education Commission of the States
- Chair of the Republican Governors Association, 1997
- Chair of the Governors' Ethanol Coalition, 1997
- National Advisory Council for Positive Action for Teen Health
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, since 2003
- Advanced Analytical Technologies, Inc.
- The American Institute of CPAs
- American Future Fund
- Cemen Tech, Featherlite
- Conmed Health Management Inc
- Iowa Health System
- Liberty Bank
- Living History Farms
Branstad defeated Bob Vander Plaats and Rod Roberts in the June 8 primary, winning with 50.33% of the vote.
- Terry E. Branstad for Governor campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Terry Branstad on Facebook
- Terry Branstad on Twitter
- Terry Branstad on YouTube
- Terry Branstad on Flickr