Texas State Senate elections, 2010
- 1 Current partisan composition
- 2 Campaign contributions
- 3 Incumbency
- 4 Qualifications
- 5 List of candidates
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Texas state senators are not subject to term limits.
Current partisan composition
- See also: Partisan composition of state senates
Heading into the November 2 election, Republicans are the majority party in the Texas State Senate, by a 7-seat majority.
|Party||As of March 2015|
The following map displays party control of districts throughout the Texas State Senate:
This chart shows how many candidates ran for state senate in Texas in past years and the cumulative amount of dollars raised in state senate races, including contributions in both primary and general election contests. All figures come from Follow The Money.
|Year||Number of candidates||Total contributions|
7 incumbents (46.6%) face no competition in the November 2 general election and are thus, barring unforeseen circumstances, guaranteed re-election in November.
- 0 Democratic incumbents face no November challenger.
- 7 GOP incumbents face no November challenger.
Only 4 incumbents faced competition in the March 2 primaries. No incumbents lost to their challengers. The following 15 incumbents (4 Democrats, 11 Republicans) won their primaries:
- District 1: Incumbent Republican Kevin Eltife
- District 2: Incumbent Republican Bob Deuell
- District 3: Incumbent Republican Robert Nichols
- District 5: Incumbent Republican Steve Ogden
- District 7: Incumbent Republican Dan Patrick
- District 8: Incumbent Republican Florence Shapiro
- District 12: Incumbent Republican Jane Nelson
- District 13: Incumbent Democrat Rodney Ellis
- District 14: Incumbent Democrat Kirk Watson
- District 15: Incumbent Democrat John Whitmire
- District 17: Incumbent Republican Joan Huffman
- District 18: Incumbent Republican Glenn Hegar
- District 19: Incumbent Democrat Carlos Uresti
- District 22: Incumbent Republican Kip Averitt
- District 25: Incumbent Republican Jeff Wentworth
One incumbent senator is not running for re-election, while 15 incumbents (94%) are running for re-election. The incumbent who is retiring is a Democrat.
Incumbents who are retiring are:
- District 29: Incumbent Democrat Eliot Shapleigh.
- A U.S. citizen
- 26 years old before the general election
- A five-year resident of Texas before the general election
- A district resident for 1 year prior to the general election
List of candidates
| 2010 State senate elections
| AL • AK • AR • AR • CA • CO • CT • DE • FL • GA • HI • ID • IL • IN • IA • KY • ME • MD • MA • MI • MN • MO • MT • NE • NV • NH • NY • NC • ND • OH • OK • OR • PA • RI • SD • TN • TX • UT • VT • WA • WV • WI • WY |
|Parties with candidates|
|Impact of term limits|
|State house elections|
|State senate elections|
|State legislative elections|
- Kevin Eltife: 51,800 Incumbent Republican Eltife was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2004.
- Kathleen Shaw: 9,561
- Robert Nichols: 52,865 Incumbent Republican Nichols was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2007.
- David Scott (L)
- Steven M. Wyman: 14,946
| State legislatures where heading into the November 2, 2010 elections|
the Republican Party is in the majority in both chambers
- Dan Patrick: 52,071 Incumbent Republican Patrick was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2007.
- Florence Shapiro: 44,423 Incumbent Republican Shapiro was first elected to the Texas Senate in 1991.
- Jane Nelson: 46,545 Incumbent Republican Nelson was first elected to the Texas Senate in 1993.
- Rodney Ellis: 35,766 Incumbent Democrat Ellis was first elected to the Texas Senate in 1990.
- Michael Mauldin: 7,956
- Kirk Watson: 27,463 Incumbent Democrat Watson was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2007.
- Mary Lou Serafine: 47,699
- John Whitmire: 17,159 Incumbent Democrat Whitmire was first elected to the Texas Senate in 1983.
- Bill Walker: 14,243
- Joan Huffman: 31,545 Incumbent Republican Huffman was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2008.
- Patricia Olney: 20,706
- Glenn Hegar: 57,490 Incumbent Republican Hegar was first elected to the Texas Senate in 2007.
- Jeff Wentworth: 61,950 Incumbent Republican Wentworth was first elected to the Texas Senate in 1993.
- Dan Chavez: 10,481
- Texas State Senate
- Texas State Legislature
- State legislative elections, 2010
- Primary election dates in 2010
- Texas official primary results
- List of 2010 Republican candidates for Texas State Senate
- List of 2010 Democratic candidates for Texas State Senate
- Texas Democratic Party's lists of 2010 candidates
- Texas Republican Party's downloadable spreadsheet of 2010 candidates
- Texas Libertarian Party's list of 2010 candidates
- Project Vote Smart list of candidates for Texas State Senate in the November 2, 2010 election