Tim Owens is a Republican member of the Kansas Senate, representing the 8th District since 2008. He was a Representative for the 19th district in the Kansas House of Representatives from 2002 until his election as Senator. From 1981 to 2005, he served as a council member for the Overland Park City Council, 3rd District. He is married with 2 children.
Sen. Owens's views on the issues according to his website:
- A new approach to education. Education funding is important.
- Opposed to a TABOR amendment until it is "clear and well understood".
- Laws to regulate eminent domain are needed.
- Supports stem cell research
- Not opposed to gun possession but has voted against concealed weapons carrying
- Judiciary (chair)
- Confirmation Oversight
- Joint Committee on Corrections and Juvenile Justice Oversight
- Federal and State Affairs
- Joint Committee on Kansas Security
Sen. Owens currently co-sponsored a resolution in favor of private ballot union elections.
Some of the top contributors to Owens's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee, Hallmark Cards, Kansas Contractors Association, Kansas Association of Realtors, Kansas Medical Society, and others
Finance, insurance, and real estate companies were his largest donor group.
- Kansas Senate
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
- Sen. Owens's website