|Illinois State Senate District 40|
|January 2009 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Appointed||January 5, 2009|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois at Urbana|
|Date of birth||May 20, 1973|
- 1 Committee assignments
- 2 Elections
- 3 Campaign donors
- 4 Polls
- 5 District 40
- 6 Personal
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Hutchinson was a candidate for the special election to Illinois' 2nd congressional district. She was one of five Democratic candidate to file by the first in line deadline, and she will appear fourth on the ballot as a result of the ballot position lottery. She withdrew on February 17, 2013 and endorsed Robin Kelly.
Hutchinson graduated with her Bachelor's Degree from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hutchinson served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Labor and Commerce|
|• Revenue, Chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Hutchinson served on these committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Conservation|
|• Committee of the Whole|
|• Higher Education|
|• Transportation, Vice Chair|
- Subcommittee on Tax Credits, Vice Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Hutchinson served on these committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Agriculture and Conservation|
|• Local Government|
|• State Government & Veterans Affairs, Vice-Chairwoman|
Hutchinson sought election to the U.S. House in Illinois' 2nd congressional district special election in 2013 to fill the seat of Jesse Jackson, Jr. who had resigned. She withdrew on February 17, 2013 and endorsed Robin Kelly.
On January 28, 2013, Hutchinson received the endorsement of Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Hutchinson won re-election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 40. Hutchinson was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, and defeated Joseph C. Marshall (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 40, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Toi Hutchinson Incumbent||59.8%||52,088|
|Republican||Joseph C. Marshall||40.2%||34,952|
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 40 (2010)|
|Toi Hutchinson (D)||34,149||55.19%|
|Adam Baumgartner (R)||27,727||44.81%|
The election took place on November 2, 2010. Hutchinson ran unopposed in the Democratic primary election on February 2nd.
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Hutchinson received $1,364,502 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Illinois State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Toi Hutchinson's campaign in 2010|
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$424,021|
|Illinois Democratic Party||$230,277|
|Stand For Children||$100,000|
|Illinois Education Association||$60,190|
|North Central Illinois Laborers District Council||$32,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$1,364,502|
|Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, Democratic primary|
|Poll||Debbie Halvorson||Toi Hutchinson||Robin Kelly||Napoleon Harris||Mel Reynolds||Anthony Beale||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Normington-Petts (January 8-10)||16%||12%||8%||7%||7%||5%||5%||40%||+/-4.9||400|
|GBA Strategies (January 3-7)||25%||16%||15%||9%||8%||10%||2%||15%||+/-4.4||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
Hutchinson represents Illinois Senate District 40. District 40 includes Chicago Heights, Orland Park, and other Chicago suburbs in Kankankee and Will Counties.
Toi is married to Paul Hutchinson. They have three children and reside in Olympia Fields, Illinois.
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Hutchinson received a score of 0.00 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of F according to the IOP’s grading scale. Her score was tied for the lowest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Toi + Hutchinson + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Official constituency website
- Biography, bills and committees at the Illinois General Assembly
- Profile at Illinois Senate Democrats
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- "The Daily Journal (Kankakee, IL) Dems select Halvorson's replacement"
- Chicago Tribune, "Candidates start filing for Jackson Jr.'s old seat in Congress," January 3, 2013
- Chicago Tribune, "Kelly wins lottery for top spot on ballot to replace Jackson Jr.," January 8, 2013
- Chicago Sun-Times Hutchinson folds House bid urging supporters to "work hard" for Robin Kelly, February 17, 2013
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- Roll Call "Illinois: Hutchinson Gets Cook County Board President’s Endorsement," January 28, 2013
- Illinois State Board of Elections, 2012 General Election Candidate List, retrieved August 4, 2012.
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- 2010 Illinois General Election Results
- 2010 Illinois Primary Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, Legislative Vote Card home page, accessed February 21, 2013
|Illinois Senate District 40
| Succeeded by|