|Michigan Senate District 20|
|2003-January 1, 2011|
George ran unsuccessfully for the Republican bid for Michigan's governor in 2010. 
George also served one term in the Michigan House of Representatives from 2000 to 2002.
George graduated from Michigan Medical School in 1982 and completed post-graduate work in 1985. George is a practicing physician in addition to being a Senator.
Michigan Senate District 20 (2003-2011)
George represented Michigan Senate District 20. District 20 includes the Kalamazoo Area and Western Michigan University.
Key votes of 2009-2010
- Click below to see how this representative voted.
- Super Speedway, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXTEND A SPECIAL TAX PERK for a super speedway.
- Driver Responsibility Fees, Lawmakers voting on whether TO IMPOSE 'driver responsibility fees.'
- Crony Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether TO RESTRICT THE RIGHT of shareholders to sell their own stock.
- Golf Carts, Lawmakers voting on whether TO SUBSIDIZE the production of electric vehicle batteries.
- Home Court Disadvantage, Lawmakers voting on whether TO GIVE MORE TAXING POWER to local government in Kalamazoo so it can finance a taxpayer-subsidized sports arena.
- Mandate Beer Keg Buyer’s Tags, Lawmakers voting on whether TO MANDATE beer keg buyer's tags.
- Remonumentation of State Border, Lawmakers voting on whether to appropriate funds up to $500,000 for remonumentation of the Michigan-Indiana border.
- Fire Safe Cigarettes, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN the sale of cigarettes that are not "fire safe."
- Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXPAND DUTIES of and rename government's Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs.
- Balancing Act, Lawmakers voting on a budget to CUT REVENUE SHARING PAYMENTS to local governments as a way to balance the state budget without raising taxes.
- Balancing Act 2, Lawmakers voting on a cut of less than 3 percent to K-12 school aid payments so as to balance the state budget without tax increases.
- A Good Tax Gone Bad?, Lawmakers voting on the Michigan Business Tax.
- It’s From the Children, Lawmakers voting on whether to RAID $90 MILLION from the Michigan Higher Education Student Loan Authority.
- Don’t Blame Canada, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN Canadian trash from Michigan landfills.
- Left Behind, Lawmakers voting on whether TO FINANCE "No Worker Left Behind" with a 59.9 percent increase in general fund spending in the 2009 DELEG budget.
- Politically Correct Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE SUBSIDIES for plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 2, Lawmakers voting on whether to GIVE SUBSIDIES for Michigan film production.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 3, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE ELECTRIC CAR SUBSIDIES for a subsidiary of a Korean battery company.
- Grapes of Wrath, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN home shipment of beer and wine to Michigan consumers.
- Subsidize Manufacture of Electric Cars, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a refundable Michigan Business Tax credit for makers of plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Authorize Special Tax Breaks for Ethanol Gas Stations, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a non-refundable Michigan Business Tax credit equal to 30 percent of the costs incurred by a gas station to convert existing pumps and tanks, or acquire new ones that deliver E85 ethanol or biodiesel fuel.
- Presidential Privileges, Lawmakers voting on whether to require state workers to either work on President's Day or take the day off as an unpaid holiday.
George served on these committees:
George was not eligible for re-election to the State Senate under Michigan's term limits. Instead, he ran for governor, though he lost in the primary.
|2010 Race for Governor - Republican Primary|
|Mike Bouchard (R)||12.16%|
|Mike Cox (R)||22.96%|
|Tom George (R)||1.62%|
|Pete Hoekstra (R)||26.84%|
|Rick Snyder (R)||36.42%|
George raised $920,470 for his campaign.
|Michigan State Senate, District 20|
|Tom George (R)||51,553|
|Alexander Lipsey (D)||48,353|
In 2006 Tom George collected $920,470 in donations. 
His four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Michigan Senate Republican Campaign Committee||$524,065|
|Michelle McManus Leadership Fund||$10,000|
|Knights of the Round Table||$10,000|
|Impact Community Action Fund||$10,000|
Thomas is married to Sandy George. They have three children and reside in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000
- Senator George's gubernatorial campaign twitter
- Georgeforgovernor.com 2010 Campaign website
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from April 29, 2010.
- List of 2010 state legislative candidates in Michigan
- The race for Michigan governor: Spotlight on Senator Tom George, M.D., Action News, July 2, 2010
- "Michigan Senate" Map of Senate Districts
- "Michigan Senate" List of Standing Committees
- Michigan Department of State, "Unofficial Primary 2010 Election Results,Governor", accessed August 4, 2010
- Michigan State Senate official election results for 2008
- Follow the Money's report on George's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2006 contributors to Tom George
|Michigan State Senate District 20
2003–January 1, 2011
| Succeeded by|