Difference between revisions of "Tom Harkin"
(→2008: parties were wrong)
|Line 59:||Line 59:|
Harkin was born in 1939 in
Harkin was born in 1939 in , Iowa. He earned his B.A. from Iowa State University in in 1962 and his J.D. from Catholic University of America in 1972. Sanders has also worked as a carpenter and journalist.<ref>[http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=h000206 ''Biographical Guide to Members of Congress'' "Thomas Richard Harkin," Accessed October 18, 2011]</ref>
Revision as of 21:38, 28 December 2012
|U.S. Senate, Iowa|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|First elected||November 5, 1984|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|High school||Dowling Catholic High School|
|Bachelor's||Iowa State University|
|J.D.||Catholic University of America|
|Years of service||1962-1967|
|Service branch||U.S. Naval Reserve|
|Years of service||1968-74|
|Birthday||November 19, 1939|
|Place of birth||Cumming, Iowa|
Harkin was born in 1939 in Cumming, Iowa. He earned his B.A. from Iowa State University in in 1962 and his J.D. from Catholic University of America in 1972. Sanders has also worked as a carpenter and journalist.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Harkin's political career:
- U.S. House of Representatives, 1975-1985
- U.S. Senate, 1985-Present
Harkin serves on the following Senate committees:
- Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman
- Subcommittee on Public Health
- Subcommittee on Employment, Safety and Training
- Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee
- Appropriations Committee
- Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Chairman
- Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, FDA
- Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Subcommittee on Defense
- Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations
- Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury, the Judiciary, HUD, and Related Agencies
|U.S. Senate, Iowa General Election, 2008|
|Democratic||Tom Harkin Incumbent||62.7%||941,665|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Harkin paid his congressional staff a total of $2,814,112 in 2011. He ranks 18th on the list of the highest paid Democratic Senatorial Staff Salaries and he ranks 21st overall of the highest paid Senatorial Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Iowa ranks 26th in average salary for senatorial staff. The average U.S. Senate congressional staff was paid $2,529,141.70 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Harkin's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $10,276,123 and $22,918,001. That averages to $16,597,062, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Senators in 2010 of $19,383,524.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Tom + Harkin + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Tom+Harkin+Iowa+Senate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Tom Harkin News Feed
Harkin has been married to his wife Ruth (nee Raduenz) since 1968. They have two daughters and three grandchildren.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Works by or about:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Tom Harkin," Accessed March 3, 2012
- Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "Thomas Richard Harkin," Accessed October 18, 2011
- Official Senate website "Committees page," Accessed October 18, 2011
- 'U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"
- LegiStorm "Tom Harkin"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Harkin, (D-IA), 2010"
- Official Senate website "Biography," Accessed October 18, 2011
|U.S. Senate - Iowa
| Succeeded by|