|U.S. House, Wisconsin, District 6|
|January 3, 1979-present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||36|
|Delegate to Republican state conventions|
|White House aide|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 7, 1978|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Wisconsin State Senate|
|High school||Lowell P. Goodrich High School, WI|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School|
|Date of birth||May 28, 1940|
|Place of birth||Marinette, WI|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Issues
- 5 Elections
- 6 Campaign donors
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
After earning his law degree from Harvard University, Petri was a clerk to U.S. District Court Judge James Doyle. He went into the Peace Corps and then became a White House aide. Petri also worked in private practice as a lawyer.
- 1979-present: U.S. House of Representatives
- 1973-1979: Wisconsin State Senate
- 1969-1970: White House aide
- 1966-1967: Peace Corps volunteer
- 1965: Clerk to district court judge
Petri is a member of the following House committees:
- Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation Chair
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
Percentage voting with party
Petri voted with the Republican Party 85.3% of the time, which ranked 227 among the 242 House Republican members as of November 2011.
On November 2, 2010, Petri won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Joseph C. Kallas (D).
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2010|
|Republican||Thomas E. Petri Incumbent||70.7%||183,271|
|Democratic||Joseph C. Kallas||29.3%||75,926|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2006|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||98.9%||201,367|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2002|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||99.2%||169,834|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2000|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||65%||179,205|
Petri won re-election to the U.S. House in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Petri's campaign committee raised a total of $737,019 and spent $720,045.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Wisconsin, 6th District, 2010 - Tom Petri Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$6,941|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$7,307|
|Top contributors to Tom Petri's campaign committee|
|Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assn||$15,000|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$23,000|
Petri and his wife, Anne, have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Tom + Petri + Wisconsin + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Gov Track "Petri" Accessed May 25, 2012
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress "Thomas Evert Petri," Accessed November 19, 2011
- Official House website "Committee Assignments," Accessed November 19, 2011
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board "Candidates registered by office," Accessed June 10, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2004"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 5, 2002"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2000"
- Open Secrets "Tom Petri 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 19, 2011
- Official House website "Biography," Accessed November 19, 2011
William A. Steiger
|U.S. House of Representatives - Wisconsin, 6th District
| Succeeded by|