|U.S. House, Wisconsin, District 6|
|January 3, 1979-present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||34|
|Delegate to Republican state conventions|
|White House aide|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 7, 1978|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Wisconsin State Senate|
|High school||Lowell P. Goodrich High School, WI|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School|
|Birthday||May 28, 1940|
|Place of birth||Marinette, WI|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Issues
- 5 Elections
- 6 Campaign donors
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
After earning his law degree from Harvard University, Petri was a clerk to U.S. District Court Judge James Doyle. He went into the Peace Corps and then became a White House aide. Petri also worked in private practice as a lawyer.
- 1979-present: U.S. House of Representatives
- 1973-1979: Wisconsin State Senate
- 1969-1970: White House aide
- 1966-1967: Peace Corps volunteer
- 1965: Clerk to district court judge
Petri is a member of the following House committees:
- Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation Chair
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Petri has voted with the Republican Party 85.3% of the time, which ranked 227 among the 242 House Republican members as of November 2011.
On November 2, 2010, Petri won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Joseph C. Kallas (D).
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2010|
|Republican||Thomas E. Petri Incumbent||70.7%||183,271|
|Democratic||Joseph C. Kallas||29.3%||75,926|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2006|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||98.9%||201,367|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2002|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||99.2%||169,834|
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 6, 2000|
|Republican||Tom Petri Incumbent||65%||179,205|
Petri won re-election to the U.S. House in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Petri's campaign committee raised a total of $737,019 and spent $720,045.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Wisconsin, 6th District, 2010 - Tom Petri Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$6,941|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$7,307|
|Top contributors to Tom Petri's campaign committee|
|Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assn||$15,000|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$23,000|
Petri and his wife, Anne, have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Tom + Petri + Wisconsin + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Tom+Petri+Wisconsin+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Tom Petri News Feed
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Gov Track "Petri" Accessed May 25, 2012
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress "Thomas Evert Petri," Accessed November 19, 2011
- Official House website "Committee Assignments," Accessed November 19, 2011
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board "Candidates registered by office," Accessed June 10, 2012
- WISN "Primary Results"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2004"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 5, 2002"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2000"
- Open Secrets "Tom Petri 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 19, 2011
- Official House website "Biography," Accessed November 19, 2011
William A. Steiger
|U.S. House of Representatives - Wisconsin, 6th District
| Succeeded by|