Difference between revisions of "Tommy Merritt"
|Line 121:||Line 121:|
Revision as of 10:14, 16 October 2013
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Texas Agriculture Commissioner|
|Texas House of Representatives District 7|
|1997 - 2011|
|Profession||Founder, Gregg Industrial Insulators|
Merritt is the Founder of Gregg Industrial Insulators, and previously worked as a Postal Inspector for the United States Postal Service from 1971-1974. Before his election to the House, Merritt's political experience consisted of being Chairman/Director of the Gregg County Appraisal Board from 1986-1993. He is a member of the First Baptist Church, Junior Achievement of East Texas, Rail Working Group - National Conference of State Legislators, Turn Around Kilgore, and Turn Around Longview.
- Local & Consent Calendars Committee, Texas House
- Public Safety Committee, Texas House (Chair)
- Redistricting Committee, Texas House
- Transportation Committee, Texas House
- HB 3333 - Relating to the creation and operation of the Texas-Louisiana border region economic development steering committee; authorizing an assessment.
- HB 3650 - Relating to the creation, administration, powers, duties, operations, and financing of a border region higher-speed rail authority for the Texas-Louisiana and the Texas-Mexico border regions; granting the power to issue bonds; imposing a tax; granting the power of eminent domain.
- HB 3987 - Relating to the administration of certain provisions affecting the licensing of persons to carry a concealed handgun.
- HB 4036 - Relating to public safety and the issuance of driver's licenses and identification cards.
|Texas House of Representatives District 7 Republican Primary, 2012|
|David Simpson Incumbent||61.6%||10,258|
On November 4, 2008, Merritt won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from Texas's 7th District, defeating Joey Stroman (L). Merritt received 40,671 votes in the election while Stroman received 5,368 votes. Merritt raised $59,072 for his campaign; Stroman raised $450.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 7|
|Tommy Merritt (R)||40,671||88.34%|
|Joey Stroman (L)||5,368||11.65%|
Below are Merritt's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Mr. & Mrs. Dan Eckerman||$3,000|
|American Electric Power||$3,000|
|Licensed Beverage Distributors||$2,750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tommy + Merritt + Texas + Agriculture"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Merritt
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 7 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Merritt
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Merritt
- News-Journal, "Former lawmaker ponders bid for state agriculture commissioner," July 26, 2013
- Texas Secretary of State - 2012 Election and Candidate Information
- Texas Secretary of State Election History
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Results for March 2, 2010 primary in Texas
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 7 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Texas House District 7
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |