Difference between revisions of "Tupac Hunter"
m (Text replace - 'is running for re-election' to 'ran for re-election')
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
:: ''See also: [[Michigan State Senate elections, 2010]]''
:: ''See also: [[Michigan State Senate elections, 2010]]''
Hunter for re-election to the 5th District Seat in 2010. He had no primary opposition. [[Bonnie Patrick]] is running for the seat on the Republican ticket. The general election takes place on [[Michigan State Senate elections, 2010|November 2, 2010]].
Revision as of 16:19, 6 November 2010
|Michigan Senate District 5|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
Hunter graduated from Morehouse College with his Bachelor's degree and is currently working on a Master's in Public Affairs degree from Oakland University.
Hunter serves on these committees:
- Banking and Financial Institutions (Minority Vice Chair)
- Commerce and Tourism
- Economic Development and Regulatory Reform
- Homeland Security and Emerging Technologies (Minority Vice Chair).
Mortgage Loan Origination Reform
Senator Hunter was a co-sponsor of the Mortgage Loan Originator Licensing Act of 2009. The legislation was designed to strengthen the licensing standards of home mortgage brokers in the State of Michigan and increased penalties for brokers engaged in illegal activities. The legislation included pre-licensing education and testing requirements, as well as fingerprinting and background checks under the federal Secure and Fair Enforcement Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008. Loan originators in Michigan under the law would also be required to register through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry. The law was approved by substantial majorities in the Michigan House and Senate was approved by Governor Jennifer Granholm on July 28, 2009.
Thomas represents Michigan Senate District 5. District 5 includes the a portion Central Detroit and the suburbs of Dearborn Heights and Inkster.
- See also: Michigan State Senate elections, 2010
Hunter ran for re-election to the 5th District Seat in 2010. He had no primary opposition. Bonnie Patrick is running for the seat on the Republican ticket. The general election takes place on November 2, 2010.
Hunter raised $127,971 for his campaign.
|Michigan State Senate, District 5|
|Tupac Hunter (D)||56,252|
|David Malhalab (R)||8,164|
In 2006 Tupac Hunter collected $127,971 in donations. 
His four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Michigan Auto Dealers Association||$7,500|
|Michigan Trial Lawyers Association||$5,000|
|Michigan Education Association||$5,000|
Key votes of 2009-2010
- Click below to see how this representative voted.
- Super Speedway, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXTEND A SPECIAL TAX PERK for a super speedway.
- Driver Responsibility Fees, Lawmakers voting on whether TO IMPOSE 'driver responsibility fees.'
- Crony Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether TO RESTRICT THE RIGHT of shareholders to sell their own stock.
- Golf Carts, Lawmakers voting on whether TO SUBSIDIZE the production of electric vehicle batteries.
- Home Court Disadvantage, Lawmakers voting on whether TO GIVE MORE TAXING POWER to local government in Kalamazoo so it can finance a taxpayer-subsidized sports arena.
- Mandate Beer Keg Buyer’s Tags, Lawmakers voting on whether TO MANDATE beer keg buyer's tags.
- Remonumentation of State Border, Lawmakers voting on whether to appropriate funds up to $500,000 for remonumentation of the Michigan-Indiana border.
- Fire Safe Cigarettes, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN the sale of cigarettes that are not "fire safe."
- Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXPAND DUTIES of and rename government's Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs.
- Balancing Act, Lawmakers voting on a budget to CUT REVENUE SHARING PAYMENTS to local governments as a way to balance the state budget without raising taxes.
- Balancing Act 2, Lawmakers voting on a cut of less than 3 percent to K-12 school aid payments so as to balance the state budget without tax increases.
- A Good Tax Gone Bad?, Lawmakers voting on the Michigan Business Tax.
- It’s From the Children, Lawmakers voting on whether to RAID $90 MILLION from the Michigan Higher Education Student Loan Authority.
- Don’t Blame Canada, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN Canadian trash from Michigan landfills.
- Left Behind, Lawmakers voting on whether TO FINANCE "No Worker Left Behind" with a 59.9 percent increase in general fund spending in the 2009 DELEG budget.
- Politically Correct Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE SUBSIDIES for plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 2, Lawmakers voting on whether to GIVE SUBSIDIES for Michigan film production.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 3, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE ELECTRIC CAR SUBSIDIES for a subsidiary of a Korean battery company.
- Grapes of Wrath, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN home shipment of beer and wine to Michigan consumers.
- Subsidize Manufacture of Electric Cars, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a refundable Michigan Business Tax credit for makers of plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Authorize Special Tax Breaks for Ethanol Gas Stations, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a non-refundable Michigan Business Tax credit equal to 30 percent of the costs incurred by a gas station to convert existing pumps and tanks, or acquire new ones that deliver E85 ethanol or biodiesel fuel.
- Presidential Privileges, Lawmakers voting on whether to require state workers to either work on President's Day or take the day off as an unpaid holiday.
Hunter is married with one child and resides in Detroit, Michigan.
- Official Michigan State Senate website
- Project Vote Smart summary
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Voting record from Michigan Votes
- Michigan Senate Democrats facebook
- "Michigan Senate" List of Standing Committees
- "Michigan Real Estate Rama" Senate approves mortgage loan officer licensing requirements to comply with federal law, June 26, 2009
- "Michigan Legislature" Michigan Public Act 75, September 1, 2009
- "Michigan Senate" Map of Senate Districts
- Michigan State Senate official election results for 2008
- Follow the Money's report on Hunter's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2006 contributors to Tupac Hunter
|Michigan State Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|