|Michigan Senate District 5|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
Hunter graduated from Morehouse College with his Bachelor's degree and is currently working on a Master's in Public Affairs degree from Oakland University.
Hunter serves on these committees:
- Banking and Financial Institutions (Minority Vice Chair)
- Commerce and Tourism
- Economic Development and Regulatory Reform
- Homeland Security and Emerging Technologies (Minority Vice Chair).
Mortgage Loan Origination Reform
Senator Hunter was a co-sponsor of the Mortgage Loan Originator Licensing Act of 2009. The legislation was designed to strengthen the licensing standards of home mortgage brokers in the State of Michigan and increased penalties for brokers engaged in illegal activities. The legislation included pre-licensing education and testing requirements, as well as fingerprinting and background checks under the federal Secure and Fair Enforcement Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008. Loan originators in Michigan under the law would also be required to register through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry. The law was approved by substantial majorities in the Michigan House and Senate was approved by Governor Jennifer Granholm on July 28, 2009.
Thomas represents Michigan Senate District 5. District 5 includes the a portion Central Detroit and the suburbs of Dearborn Heights and Inkster.
Hunter raised $127,971 for his campaign.
|Michigan State Senate, District 5|
|Tupac Hunter (D)||56,252|
|David Malhalab (R)||8,164|
In 2006 Tupac Hunter collected $127,971 in donations. 
His four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Michigan Auto Dealers Association||$7,500|
|Michigan Trial Lawyers Association||$5,000|
|Michigan Education Association||$5,000|
Hunter is married with one child and resides in Detroit, Michigan.
- Official Michigan State Senate website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Voting record from Michigan Votes
- "Michigan Senate" List of Standing Committees
- "Michigan Real Estate Rama" Senate approves mortgage loan officer licensing requirements to comply with federal law, June 26, 2009
- "Michigan Legislature" Michigan Public Act 75, September 1, 2009
- "Michigan Senate" Map of Senate Districts
- Michigan State Senate official election results for 2008
- Follow the Money's report on Hunter's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2006 contributors to Tupac Hunter
|Michigan State Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|