Difference between revisions of "United States House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture"
m (→2011-2012 (112th Congress))
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
Revision as of 08:02, 17 January 2013
- 1 Leadership
- 2 Membership
- 3 Subcommittees
- 4 Jurisdiction
- 5 Contact
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
The committee was created on May 3, 1820. At the time there were 213 total House representatives and a country population of 9 million. The inaugural committee was chaired by Thomas Forrest.
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
Conservation, Energy, and Forestry
Jurisdiction: Soil, water, and resource conservation, small watershed program, energy and biobased energy production, rural electrification, forestry in general and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
- 112th Congress Chair: Glenn Thompson (PA-5)
Department Operations, Oversight, and Credit
Jurisdiction: Agency oversight, review and analysis, special investigations, and agricultural credit.
- 112th Congress Chair: Jeff Fortenberry (NE-1)
General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
Jurisdiction: Program and markets related to cotton, cottonseed, wheat, feed grains, soybeans, oilseeds, rice, dry beans, peas, lentils, the Commodity Credit Corporation, risk management, including crop insurance, commodity exchanges, and specialty crops.
- 112th Congress Chair: Michael Conaway (TX-11)
Nutrition and Horticulture
Jurisdiction: Food stamps, nutrition and consumer programs, fruits and vegetables, honey and bees, marketing and promotion orders, plant pesticides, quarantine, adulteration of seeds and insect pests, and organic agriculture.
- 112th Congress Chair: Jean Schmidt (OH-2)
Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry
Jurisdiction: Livestock, dairy, poultry, meat, seafood and seafood products, inspection, marketing, and promotion of such commodities, aquaculture, animal welfare, and grazing.
- 112th Congress Chair: Tom Rooney (FL-16)
Rural Development, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture
Jurisdiction: Rural Development, farm security and family farming matters, biotechnology, foreign agriculture assistance, and trade promotion programs, generally.
- 112th Congress Chair: Timothy Johnson (IL-15)
According to the official House website, the jurisdiction of the Agriculture committee includes the following:
- Adulteration of seeds, insect pests, and protection of birds and animals in forest reserves.
- Agriculture generally.
- Agricultural and industrial chemistry.
- Agricultural colleges and experiment stations.
- Agricultural economics and research.
- Agricultural education extension services.
- Agricultural production and marketing and stabilization of prices of agricultural products, and commodities (not including distribution outside of the United States).
- Animal industry and diseases of animals.
- Commodity exchanges.
- Crop insurance and soil conservation.
- Dairy industry.
- Entomology and plant quarantine.
- Extension of farm credit and farm security.
- Inspection of livestock, poultry, meat products, and seafood and seafood products.
- Forestry in general, and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
- Human nutrition and home economics.
- Plant industry, soils, and agricultural engineering.
- Rural electrification.
- Rural development.
- Water conservation related to activities of the Department of Agriculture.
1301 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
- Official House Page
- Committee Minority House Page
- Official Committee Facebook Page
- Official Committee Twitter Page
- Official Committee Youtube Channel