United States House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture
- 1 Leadership
- 2 Membership
- 3 Subcommittees
- 4 Jurisdiction
- 5 Contact
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
The committee was created on May 3, 1820. At the time there were 213 total House representatives and a country population of 9 million. The inaugural committee was chaired by Thomas Forrest.
2013-2014 (113th Congress)
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
Conservation, Energy, and Forestry
Jurisdiction: Soil, water, and resource conservation, small watershed program, energy and biobased energy production, rural electrification, forestry in general and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
|Conservation, Energy, and Forestry Subcommittee Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (7)||Republican members (9)|
|Tim Walz Ranking member||Glenn Thompson Chair|
|Gloria Negrete McLeod||Mike Rogers|
|Ann Kuster||Bob Gibbs|
|Rick Nolan||Scott Tipton|
|Mike McIntyre||Rick Crawford|
|Kurt Schrader||Martha Roby|
|Suzan DelBene||Reid Ribble|
Department Operations, Oversight, and Nutrition
Jurisdiction: Agency oversight, review and analysis, special investigations, and agricultural credit.
|Department Operations, Oversight, and Nutrition Subcommittee Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (4)||Republican members (6)|
|Marcia Fudge Ranking member||Steve King Chair|
|Jim McGovern||Bob Goodlatte|
|Michelle Lujan Grisham||Bob Gibbs|
|Gloria Negrete McLeod||Austin Scott|
|Stephen Lee Fincher|
General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
Jurisdiction: Program and markets related to cotton, cottonseed, wheat, feed grains, soybeans, oilseeds, rice, dry beans, peas, lentils, the Commodity Credit Corporation, risk management, including crop insurance, commodity exchanges, and specialty crops.
|General Farm Commodities and Risk Management Subcommittee Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (11)||Republican members (15)|
|David Scott Ranking member||Michael Conaway Chair|
|Filemon Vela||Randy Neugebauer|
|Pete Gallego||Mike Rogers|
|William Enyart||Bob Gibbs|
|Juan Vargas||Austin Scott|
|Cheri Bustos||Rick Crawford|
|Sean Maloney||Martha Roby|
|Tim Walz||Chris Gibson|
|Gloria Negrete McLeod||Vicky Hartzler|
|Jim Costa||Kristi Noem|
|John Garamendi||Dan Benishek|
Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture
Jurisdiction: Rural Development, farm security and family farming matters, biotechnology, foreign agriculture assistance, and trade promotion programs, generally.
|Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture Subcommittee Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (7)||Republican members (8)|
|Kurt Schrader Ranking member||Austin Scott Chair|
|Suzan DelBene||Vicky Hartzler|
|Jim Costa||Jeff Denham|
|Marcia Fudge||Stephen Lee Fincher|
|Ann Kuster||Doug LaMalfa|
|Juan Vargas||Rodney Davis|
|Sean Maloney||Chris Collins|
Livestock, Rural Development, and Credit
Jurisdiction: Livestock, dairy, poultry, meat, seafood and seafood products, inspection, marketing, and promotion of such commodities, aquaculture, animal welfare, and grazing.
|Livestock, Rural Development, and Credit Subcommittee Members, 2013-2014|
|Democratic members (11)||Republican members (13)|
|Jim Costa Ranking member||Rick Crawford Chair|
|Mike McIntyre||Bob Goodlatte|
|David Scott||Steve King|
|Filemon Vela||Randy Neugebauer|
|Michelle Lujan Grisham||Mike Rogers|
|Pete Gallego||Michael Conaway|
|William Enyart||Glenn Thompson|
|Cheri Bustos||Scott DesJarlais|
|Kurt Schrader||Chris Gibson|
|Rick Nolan||Reid Ribble|
|Joe Courtney||Jeff Denham|
According to the official House website, the jurisdiction of the Agriculture committee includes the following:
- Adulteration of seeds, insect pests, and protection of birds and animals in forest reserves.
- Agriculture generally.
- Agricultural and industrial chemistry.
- Agricultural colleges and experiment stations.
- Agricultural economics and research.
- Agricultural education extension services.
- Agricultural production and marketing and stabilization of prices of agricultural products, and commodities (not including distribution outside of the United States).
- Animal industry and diseases of animals.
- Commodity exchanges.
- Crop insurance and soil conservation.
- Dairy industry.
- Entomology and plant quarantine.
- Extension of farm credit and farm security.
- Inspection of livestock, poultry, meat products, and seafood and seafood products.
- Forestry in general, and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
- Human nutrition and home economics.
- Plant industry, soils, and agricultural engineering.
- Rural electrification.
- Rural development.
- Water conservation related to activities of the Department of Agriculture.
1301 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
- Official House Page
- Committee Minority House Page
- Official Committee Facebook Page
- Official Committee Twitter Page
- Official Committee Youtube Channel