United States House of Representatives Committee on Armed Services
- 1 Leadership
- 2 Membership
- 3 Subcommittees
- 4 Jurisdiction
- 5 Contact
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
Tactical Air and Land Forces
Jurisdiction: conducts oversight of ammunition programs, Army and Air Force acquisition programs, all Navy and Marine Corps aviation programs, and National Guard and Army and Air Force National Guard and Reserve, authorizes procurement and R&D programs.
- 112th Congress Chair: Roscoe G. Bartlett (MD-6)
Jurisdiction: responsible for military personnel policy, reserve component integration and employment issues, military health care, military education, and POW/MIA issues.
- 112th Congress Chair: Joe Wilson (SC-2)
Oversight & Investigations
Jurisdiction: conducts studies and investigations across the jurisdiction of the House Armed Services Committee, including inquiries into allegations of waste, fraud, abuse, and wrongdoing and inefficiencies within the Department of Defense.
- 112th Congress Chair: Rob Wittman (VA-1)
Jurisdiction: oversees military readiness, training, logistics and maintenance issues and programs, military construction, installations and family housing issues, and the BRAC process. It also oversees civilian personnel, energy security, and environmental issues that affect DOD. 
- 112th Congress Chair: J. Randy Forbes (VA-4)
Seapower & Projection Forces
Jurisdiction: provides authorization for Navy and Marine Corps procurement and R&D programs, this subcommittee is committed to reversing the decline in the Navy battle force fleet, strengthening the naval air component, and providing the Marine Corps warfighter with essential equipment for combat operations.
- 112th Congress Chair: W. Todd Akin (MO-2)
Jurisdiction: oversees our nation’s strategic weapons, ballistic missile defense, space programs, and Department of Energy national security programs (excluding nonproliferation programs).
- 112th Congress Chair: Michael Turner (OH-3)
Emerging Threats and Capabilities
Jurisdiction: responsible for overseeing counter-terrorism programs and initiatives and counterproliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Additionally, this subcommittee oversees U.S. Special Operations Forces, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), information technology and programs, force protection policy and oversight, and related intelligence support.
- 112th Congress Chair: Michael Turner (TX-13)
According to the official House website, the jurisdiction of the Armed Services Committee includes the following:
- defense policy generally
- ongoing military operations
- the organization and reform of the Department of Defense and Department of Energy
- counter-drug programs
- acquisition and industrial base policy
- technology transfer and export controls
- joint interoperability,
- the Cooperative Threat Reduction program
- Department of Energy nonproliferation programs
- detainee affairs and policy.
2120 Rayburn House Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4151
Fax: (202) 225-0858
- Official House Page
- Official Committee Facebook Page
- Official Committee Twitter Page
- Official Committee Youtube Channel