United States House of Representatives elections in South Dakota, 2014
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid Republican
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Safe R
South Dakota is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Parties decide who may vote. Registered Democrats and unaffiliated voters may vote in the Democratic primary. Only registered Republicans may vote in the Republican primary.
The incumbent heading into the election is Kristi Noem (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Heading into the November 4 election, the Republican Party holds the one congressional seat from South Dakota.
|Members of the U.S. House from South Dakota -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of October 2014||After the 2014 Election|
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
June 3, 2014, primary results
Failed to file
- Charles Haan sued Secretary of State Jason Gant for "illegally" declining to put him on the ballot. “He was 45 signatures short of even meeting the 250, even if every single line he submitted was accurate,” Gant said. Haan lost his case, and he will not appear on the ballot.
In 2012, Noem was re-elected to the U.S. Congress, representing South Dakota's At-Large Congressional District.
|U.S. House, South Dakota At-Large District General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Matt Varilek Incumbent||42.6%||153,789|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, South Dakota General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Stephanie Herseth Sandlin||45.9%||146,589|
|Independent||B. Thomas Marking||6%||19,134|
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR AUGUST 8, 2014," accessed August 21, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 21, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State Website, "Registration & Voting," accessed January 3,2014
- Associated Press, "South Dakota - Summary Vote Results," accessed June 3, 2014
- Argus Leader, "Watertown man sues for spot in election against Noem," accessed July 25, 2014
- Argus Leader, "Charles Haan lost Friday. He'll try again today.," accessed October 15, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"