United States Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- 1 Leadership
- 2 Membership
- 3 Subcommittees
- 4 Jurisdiction
- 5 Contact
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
Children’s Health and Environmental Responsibility
Jurisdiction: Responsibility for policy issues in connection with protection of pregnant women, infants and children from environmental hazards.
- 112th Congress Chair: Tom Udall (NM)
Clean Air and Nuclear Safety
Jurisdiction: Clean Air Act, Indoor Air, Tennessee Valley Authority, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Nuclear Plant Safety.
- 112th Congress Chair: Thomas R. Carper (DE)
Green Jobs and the New Economy
Jurisdiction: Responsibility for issues related to job creation through the development and deployment of “green” technologies and practices. Issues also include federal investment in technologies and practices that reduce the government’s carbon footprint or the emission of other pollutants, including technologies and practices that enhance energy efficiency, conservation, or renewable power sources. 
- 112th Congress Chair: Bernard Sanders (VT)
Jurisdiction: Responsibility for oversight of agencies, departments, and programs within the jurisdiction of the full committee, and for conducting investigations within such jurisdiction.
- 112th Congress Chair: Sheldon Whitehouse (RI)
Superfund, Toxics and Environmental Health
Jurisdiction: Superfund and Brownfields, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), including recycling, Federal Facilities and interstate waste, Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA), Chemical Safety Board, Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), Environmental Justice and Risk Assessment.
- 112th Congress Chair: Frank R. Lautenberg (NJ)
Transportation and Infrastructure
Jurisdiction: Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Public Buildings, Water Resources Development Act (WRDA), Economic Development Administration, Historic Preservation, National Dam Safety Program, Stafford Act and federal disaster relief programs, Mississippi River Commission, Green Buildings.
- 112th Congress Chair: Max Baucus (MT)
Water and Wildlife
Jurisdiction: Clean Water Act, including wetlands; Safe Drinking Water Act; Coastal Zone Management Act; Invasive Species; Fisheries and Wildlife, Endangered Species Act (ESA), National Wildlife Refuges; Outer Continental Shelf Lands.
- 112th Congress Chair: Benjamin L. Cardin (MD)
According to the official Senate website, the jurisdiction of the Environment and Public Works Committee includes the following:
- Air pollution.
- Construction and maintenance of highways.
- Environmental aspects of Outer Continental Shelf lands.
- Environmental effects of toxic substances, other than pesticides.
- Environmental policy.
- Environmental research and development.
- Fisheries and wildlife.
- Flood control and improvements of rivers and harbors, including environmental aspects of deepwater ports.
- Noise pollution.
- Nonmilitary environmental regulation and control of nuclear energy.
- Ocean dumping.
- Public buildings and improved grounds of the United States generally,including Federal buildings in the District of Columbia.
- Public works, bridges, and dams.
- Regional economic development.
- Solid waste disposal and recycling.
- Water pollution.
- Water resources.
- Such committee shall also study and review, on a comprehensive basis, matters relating to environmental protection and resource utilization and conservation, and report thereon from time to time.
410 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510-6175