United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
2011-2012 (112th Congress)
Children and Families
Jurisdiction: Head Start, child care and child support such as the Child Care & Development Block Grant, the Family Medical Leave Act, National Service, women and children’s healthcare, and other issues involving children, youth, and families.
- 112th Congress Chair: Barbara A. Mikulski (MD)
Employment and Workplace Safety
Jurisdiction: workforce education and training, worker health and safety, wage and hour laws, and workplace flexibility.
- 112th Congress Chair: Patty Murray (WA)
Primary Health and Aging
Jurisdiction: The Older Americans Act; elder abuse, neglect, and scams affecting seniors; long-term care services for older Americans, community health centers, The Health Resources and Services Act, oral health, health care disparities, Alzheimer's disease and family caregiving.
- 112th Congress Chair: Bernard Sanders I (VT)
According to the official Senate website, the jurisdiction of the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee includes the following:
- Measures relating to education, labor, health, and public welfare.
- Agricultural colleges.
- Arts and humanities.
- Biomedical research and development.
- Child labor.
- Convict labor and the entry of goods made by convicts into interstate commerce.
- Domestic activities of the American National Red Cross.
- Equal employment opportunity.
- Gallaudet University, Howard University, and Saint Elizabeth hospital.
- Individuals with disabilities.
- Labor standards and labor statistics.
- Mediation and arbitration of labor disputes.
- Occupational safety and health, including the welfare of miners.
- Private pension plans.
- Public health.
- Railway labor and retirement.
- Regulation of foreign laborers.
- Student loans.
- Wages and hours of labor
- Such committee shall also study and review, on a comprehensive basis, matters relating to health, education and training, and public welfare, and report thereon from time to time.
428 Senate Dirksen Office Building
Washington, DC 20510