United States Senate elections in Alabama, 2014
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Alabama has an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
Voter registration: Pending
- See also: Alabama elections, 2014
Incumbent: The election is being held to fill the Class 2 Senate seat held by Jeff Sessions (R). He was first elected in 1996.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Jeff Sessions - Incumbent
- See also: United States budget debate, 2013
During the shutdown in October 2013, the Senate rejected, down party lines, every House-originated bill that stripped the budget of funding for the Affordable Care Act. A deal was reached late on October 16, 2013, just hours before the debt ceiling deadline. The bill to reopen the government, H.R. 2775, lifted the $16.7 trillion debt limit and funds the government through January 15, 2014. Federal employees also received retroactive pay for the shutdown period. The only concession made by Senate Democrats was to require income verification for Obamacare subsidies. The final vote on H.R. 2775 was 81-18, with all 18 votes against the bill from Republican members. Jeff Sessions voted with the Republican Party against the bill.
|Jeff Sessions (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 12, 2013||$2,777,227.78||$101,243||$(47,441.76)||$2,831,029.12|
|July Quarterly||July 12, 2013||$2,831,029.12||$180,280.83||$(54,775.34)||$2,956,534.61|
|October Quarterly||September 30, 2013||$2,956,534.61||$220,476.83||$(72,397.40)||$3,104,614.04|
|U.S. Senate, Alabama General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Richard Shelby incumbent||65.2%||968,181|
|U.S. Senate, Alabama General Election, 2008|
|Republican||Jeff Sessions incumbent||63.4%||1,305,383|
|Democratic||Vivian Davis Figures||36.5%||752,391|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Alabama, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- The Washington Post, "Reid, McConnell propose bipartisan Senate bill to end shutdown, extend borrowing," accessed October 16, 2013
- Senate.gov, "H.R. 2775 As Amended," accessed October 31, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Jeff Sessions April Quarterly," accessed July 22, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Jeff Sessions July Quarterly," accessed July 22, 2013
- Federal Election Commission "Jeff Sessions October Quarterly," accessed October 28, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"