United States Senate elections in Indiana, 2012
Tossup (Prior to election)
The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was February 10, 2012. The primary elections will be held on May 8, 2012.
Two Indiana voters filed an appeal March 6, 2012 in Marion County Superior Court asking for review of the denial of their challenges to Richard Lugar’s candidacy for the U.S. Senate by the Indiana Election Commission.  The appeal also seeks an injunction to prohibit election officials from printing ballots for the upcoming May 8 primary until the case is resolved. The challengers plan to ask for expedited consideration of their appeal by the courts.
The Election Commission hearing confirmed that Lugar sold his residence in Indiana in 1977 and moved to Virginia. Since then, he has maintained no physical residence in the state of Indiana. The U.S. Constitution requires, in relevant part, that a Senator must be an “inhabitant” of their state.
Lugar's attorneys and the Commission relied heavily on Lugar's stated intent to someday return to Indiana, and letters from the Indiana Attorney General stating that Senator Lugar could continue voting in Indiana without an actual residence in Indiana.
Election law violations
In April 2012, Richard Mourdock's Senate campaign came under scrutiny after allegations that Mourdock's state campaign used funds to aid his federal U.S. Senate campaign, a violation of federal election law. This comes after a legal analysis conducted for the Lugar campaign and a complaint sent to the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) by former Rushville, Indiana mayor and former Rush County Republican Chairman John McCane.
The complaint states that Mourdock "accessed voter information through his state committee, transferred the information to his federal committee and then used the information to send mass communications to voters through his federal committee." Mourdock's state campaign accessed the information through the Party's computer database in January 2011, then transferred the information to his federal Senate campaign in February 2011 at time of his candidacy announcement to communicate with mass numbers of voters, and since has continued to use the information.
Federal law specifically prohibits "transfers of funds or assets from a candidate's campaign committee or account for a nonfederal election to his or her principal campaign committee or other authorized committee for a federal election."
Lugar's opponent Richard Mourdock has been endorsed by both the Club for Growth on February 14, 2012 and the National Rifle Association on March 7, 2012. The Family Research Council PAC endorsed Mourdock on January 31, 2012. Indiana's Tea Party has also endorsed Mourdock. On April 27, 2012, Sarah Palin announced her endorsement of Republican challenger Richard Mourdock over incumbent Senator Richard Lugar.
Cook Political Report
|Cook Political Report Race Rating -- Indiana Senate|
|March 22, 2012|
|March 1, 2012|
|January 26, 2012|
|December 22, 2011|
|December 1, 2011|
|U.S. Senate, Indiana General Election, 2006|
|Republican||Richard Lugar Incumbent||87.4%||1,171,553|
|Independent||Jack H. Baldwin||0%||294|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Indiana, 2012
- United States Senate elections, 2012
- Los Angeles Times "Democrat Joe Donnelly sets sights on Indiana Senate seat," Accessed January 5, 2012
- The Hill "Lugar's Senate race could put Mitch Daniels, Mike Pence in tough spot," Accessed January 5, 2012
- Huffington Post "Richard Lugar Opponent Richard Mourdock Slams Indiana Senator As Clueless," Accessed January 5, 2012
- Libertarian Party of Indiana "Andy Horning Announces Bid for US Senate in 2012," September 16, 2011
- WIBC "Lugar Residency Challenge Heads to Court" Accessed March 8, 2012
- Election Law Blog " Appeal Filed in Lugar Residency Case Voters Challenge State Election Commission Ruling in Court" Accessed March 8, 2012
- Richard Lugar for Senate "Mourdock Likely Violated Federal Election Law:State Treasurer's alleged "pillaging" of Indiana GOP database raises serious legal questions" Accessed April 24, 2012
- Washington Post "Sen. Richard Lugar next target of Club for Growth" Accessed February 23, 2012
- National Review "It’s Time to Bring Lugar Home" Accessed February 23, 2012
- The Hill "National Rifle Association will endorse Lugar challenger Wednesday" Accessed March 8, 2012
- FRC Action "FRC Action PAC endorses Richard Mourdock for U.S. Senate" Accessed April 27, 2012
- USA Today "A look ahead to the key races in the Midwest in 2012" Accessed March 12, 2012
- Huffington Post "Sarah Palin Endorses Richard Mourdock In Indiana U.S. Senate Primary" Accessed April 27, 2012
- AbcNews "Richard Mourdock downplays Mitch Daniels' Lugar endorsement in Indiana Senate race" Accessed April 26, 2012
- Cook Political Report "Our Accuracy," Accessed December 12, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," March 22, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," March 1, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," January 26, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 27, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 1, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"