United States Senate elections in Michigan, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 5, 2014
Cook Political Report: Toss Up
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Likely D
The election will fill the open Senate seat currently held by Carl Levin (D). Levin was first elected in 1978. On March 7, 2013, Levin announced that he will retire rather than seek re-election in 2014.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
According to a poll conducted by the Democratic firm Public Policy Polling, Gary Peters leads the Michigan Senate race. He is up 5 points on Terri Lynn Land, and he also has a lead over prospective candidates Justin Amash and Mike Rogers.
|U.S. Senate, Michigan General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Debbie Stabenow Incumbent||58.8%||2,735,826|
|Source: Michigan Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 4, 2008, Carl Levin won re-election to the United States Senate. He defeated Jack Hoogendyk, Jr. (R), Scotty Boman (L), Harley G. Mikkelson (G), Michael N. Nikitin (U.S. Taxpayers Party), and Doug Dern (Natural Law) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Michigan, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 SENATE RACE RATINGS FOR JULY 18, 2014," accessed July 24, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 Senate Races," accessed July 24, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Carl Levin, U.S. Senator from Michigan, "Newsroom: Sen. Carl Levin announces he will not seek re-election in 2014," March 7, 2013
- Politico, "Poll: Gary Peters leads Michigan Senate race," June 5, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"