United States Senate elections in Missouri, 2012
Likely D (Prior to election)
The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was March 27, 2012. The primary elections will be held on August 7, 2012.
- Todd Akin: U.S. Representative 
- John Brunner: Businessman 
- Sarah Steelman: Former Missouri treasurer 
- Mark Lodes: Businessman 
- Jerry Beck: Manufacturing Executive 
- Mark Memoly: Car Salesman 
- Robert Poole 
- Hector Maldonado: U.S. Army Veteran 
Cook Political Report
|Cook Political Report Race Rating -- Missouri Senate|
|March 1, 2012|
|January 26, 2012|
|December 22, 2011|
|December 1, 2011|
Sabato's Crystal Ball
The University of Virginia's Center for Politics published an article called Sabato's Crystal Ball on March 22, 2012 detailing the 8 races in the Senate in 2012 that will decide the political fate of which party will end up with control in 2013. The seat rated a a toss-up that the Sabato's Crystal Ball believes is 3rd most likely to end up Republican is the Senate seat in Missouri. The article notes incumbent freshman senator Claire McCaskill (D) is vulnerable in the Republican leaning state. While it still remains a toss up as to who McCaskill's competitor will end up being in the general election, challengers U.S. Representative Todd Akin, former state Treasurer Sarah Steelman and businessman John Brunner all present a significant challenge to the vulnerable incumbent.
On November 7, 2006, Claire McCaskill was elected to the United States Senate. She defeated the incumbent James M. Talent (R), Frank Gilmour (Libertarian), Lydia Lewis (Progressive), and the write-in candidates.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Missouri, 2012
- United States Senate elections, 2012
- Riverfront Times "It's Already 2012 for Claire McCaskill: Attack ads circulating online and on the radio," Accessed January 6, 2012
- The Hill "Rep. Akin sets up a Republican primary fight in Missouri's Senate race," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Roll Call "Brunner Enters Missouri Senate Race," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Huffington Post "Sarah Steelman to Challenge Claire McCaskill for 2012 Senate Race," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Mark Lodes campaign website Accessed January 6, 2012
- Missouri Secretary of State "Candidate Filing List" March 29, 2012
- Cook Political Report "Our Accuracy," Accessed December 12, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," March 1, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," January 26, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 27, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 1, 2011
- Center for Politics "Tilting the Toss Ups – the Eight Races That Will Decide the Senate" Accessed April 9, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"