United States Senate elections in Montana, 2014
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Montana has a mixed primary: Democrats hold an open primary, meaning any registered voter can vote in the party's primary, while Republicans hold a closed caucus, restricted to party members.
Voter registration: Pending
- See also: Montana elections, 2014
Incumbent: The election will fill the Senate seat currently held by Max Baucus (D). Baucus was first elected in 1978. In April 2013, Baucus announced he would not seek re-election in 2014.  Montana is one of seven open Senate seats heading into the 2014 elections as of July 2013. On December 18, 2013, it was announced that Baucus is expected to be nominated as U.S. Ambassador to China. Should he be appointed before the end of his term, Democratic Governor Steve Bullock would appoint someone to finish out Baucus' term. Speculation is that Bullock would appoint Lt. Governor John Walsh, who is running for Baucus' seat in 2014.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
Brian Schweitzer, a former Governor of Montana, was widely expected to make a run in 2014 for the U.S. Senate seat occupied by retiring Democrat Max Baucus. However, on July 13, 2013, Schweitzer announced that he would not enter the race.
Other potential Democratic candidates include:
- John Lewis, former aide to Democratic Senator Max Baucus
- Brian Morris, state Supreme Court Justice
Republicans who have been mentioned as possible contenders include:
Washington Post top 10 races
According to an analysis by The Washington Post, the U.S. Senate election in Montana is considered one of the top 10 Senate races of 2014 as of December 2013. When Rep. Daines entered the race in late 2013, Republicans had a clear candidate to run for the open seat against Lt. Gov. Walsh.
Candidates for Congress are required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2014 elections season. Below are Daines' reports.
|Steve Daines (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$560,854.04||$642,537.15||$(64,600.10)||$1,138,791.09|
|Year-End Quarterly||December 31, 2013||$1,138,791||$827,134||$(271,846)||$1,897,935|
A poll released in November 2013 by Public Policy Polling shows regardless of the candidate, Daines is likely to win the seat in 2014. In a match-up against Democrat John Walsh, Daines leads 52% to 35%. In a match-up against Democrat John Bohlinger, Daines leads 51% to 36%.
|U.S. Senate, Montana General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Jon Tester Incumbent||48.6%||236,123|
|U.S. Senate, Montana General Election, 2008|
|Democratic||Max Baucus Incumbent||72.9%||348,289|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Montana, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- The Washington Post, "Baucus to retire rather than seek re-election in 2014, strategists say", April 23, 2013
- Politic, "W.H. to nominate Sen. Max Baucus as next ambassador to China", accessed December 19, 2013
- Politico, "Democrat Walsh files for Senate in Montana", accessed October 9, 2013
- Missoulian.com "Bohlinger criticizes Baucus, Tester for early backing of Walsh in U.S. Senate race", accessed November 12, 2013
- Billings Gazette, "Wilsall rancher/political unknown says he’s running as Democrat for Baucus’ Senate seat", accessed August 16, 2013
- Politico, "Brian Schweitzer move aids GOP in battle for Senate", July 13,2013
- Washington Post "Another Democrat passes on Montana Senate race," Accessed August 6, 2013
- The Washington Post, "The Fix’s top 10 Senate races of 2014," accessed December 10, 2013[
- Federal Election Commission "Daines 2014 Summary reports," accessed July 18, 2014
- FEC "April Quarterly," accessed July 18, 2013
- FEC "July Quarterly," accessed July 18, 2013
- FEC "October Quarterly," accessed October 24, 2013
- FEC "Year-End Quarterly," accessed February 12, 2014
- Politico, "Montana Senate race 2014 poll: Steve Daines in driver’s seat", accessed November 21, 2013
- Montana Secretary of State "2012 Election Center" Accessed July 8, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"