For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
United States Senate elections in Nebraska, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 13, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Safe R
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Nebraska has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
Voter registration: Pending
- See also: Nebraska elections, 2014
Incumbent: The election will fill the Senate seat currently held by Mike Johanns (R). Johanns was first elected in 2008. He announced in February 2013 that he would not seek re-election in 2014. He joins a growing list of U.S. Congress incumbents not running for re-election in 2014.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
Potential Democratic candidates
Potential Independent candidate
Potential Republican candidates
- Jeff Fortenberry - U.S. Rep, Nebraska's 1st Congressional District
- Lee Terry - U.S. Rep, Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District
- Adrian Smith- U.S. Rep, Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District
- Don Stenberg - Nebraska State Treasurer
Republican candidate Ben Sasse has been endorsed by the Senate Conservatives Fund, the Club for Growth, Rep. Paul Ryan and Dick Armey, the former House Majority Leader and former chairman of FreedomWorks..
|U.S. Senate, Nebraska General Election, 2012|
|Source: Nebraska Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|United States Senate Nebraska General Election, 2008|
|Nebraska||Kelly Renee Rosberg||1.4%||11,438|
|Green||Steven R. Larrick||1%||7,763|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Nebraska, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 Senate Race Ratings for August 22, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 Senate Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- NY Times.com "Republican Senator From Nebraska Won’t Run in 2014" February 18, 2013
- NBC News, "Johanns on Senate retirement: 'Time to close this chapter,'" February 18, 2013
- Watchdog.org, "Sasse jumping in Senate race", accessed August 19, 2013
- Journal Star "Shane Osborn launches Senate campaign," Accessed July 15, 2013
- The Republic, "University president Sasse files for US Senate", accessed August 19, 2013
- Campaign website, "Home", accessed December 11, 2013
- Omaha World-Herald, "Dave Heineman weighs Senate bid," February 18, 2013
- Journal Star "Ashford inclined to seek Senate seat," Accessed July 31, 2013
- Roll Call, "Heineman, Fortenberry Considering Senate Run in Nebraska, "February 18, 2013
- Politico, "Nebraska Sen. Mike Johanns to retire," February 18, 2013
- Omaha.com, "Senate hopeful Ben Sasse picks up endorsement of ex-House Majority Leader Dick Armey", accessed November 15, 2013
- Watchdog.org, "FreedomWorks endorses Osborn for Senate", accessed November 13, 2013
- Roll Call, "Rep. Paul Ryan Gives Support to Ben Sasse in Nebraska Senate Race," accessed November 19, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"