For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
United States Senate elections in Texas, 2012
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Solid R (Prior to election)
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Texas has an open primary system, in which any registered voter can choose which party's primary to vote in, without having to be a member of that party. Texas also scheduled a primary runoff for July 31, 2012.
Voter registration: Voters had to register to vote in the primary by April 30. For the July 31, 2012, the vote registration deadline was July 2. For the general election, the voter registration deadline was October 9.
- See also: Texas elections, 2012
* Redistricting note: Due to legal turmoil in the redistricting process, filing deadlines have changed twice and primary have changed once. The original filing deadline was December 12th. That deadline was first moved to December 15th and then December 19th by a federal court due to delays caused by redistricting legal challenges. When a final map was issued, the December 19th deadline was once again moved to March 9 to allow candidates more time to file in light of the delays and map ambiguities. The primary date was first moved from March 6 to April 3, 2012 before finally settling on May 29.
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals were added after official election results had been certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
General election candidates
July 31, 2012 primary runoff
May 29, 2012 primary results
|U.S. Senate, Texas General Election, 2012|
|Libertarian||John Jay Myers||2.1%||162,354|
|Green||David B. Collins||0.9%||67,404|
|Source: Texas Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. Senate Runoff Election, Texas Democratic Primary, 2012|
|U.S. Senate Runoff Election, Texas Republican Primary, 2012|
Republican incumbent Kay Bailey Hutchison's decision to not seek re-election in 2012, after nearly 20 years occupying the Senate seat, drew a broad field of hopeful successors to the race to fill his open seat.
Both the Democratic and Republican primaries, held on May 29, were too close to decide which candidates would advance to the general election as their parties' nominees. As a result, a primary runoff election was held on July 31st.
In the especially heated GOP runoff election, Tea Party darling Cruz defeated Dewhurst for the Republican nomination. On the other side of the aisle, Sadler emerged as his party's victory. Cruz and Sadler will face off in the general election on November 6, 2012, along with a host of third party candidates, including: John Jay Myers, David Collins, Victoria Ann Zabaras, Lorenzo Morales, Craig Couvillion, Michael Edward Champion, and Michael Powell.
January 12, 2012
Five Republican candidates for the senate seat had their first debate in Austin on January 12. Ted Cruz, former state solicitor general, accused Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst of being an unprincipled career politician. Dewhurst said he would draw on his legislative experience to help balance the federal budget. Businessman and former Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert emphasized his 33-page plan for spending reforms. Funeral home director Glenn Addison and NFL player and commentator Craig James both stressed their dedication to the U.S. Constitution. The debate was sponsored by two groups: Texas Public Policy Foundation and Empower Texans.
According to The New York Times' analysis of the 2012 Senate elections, the Texas Senate race was rated as solid Republican.
Cook Political Report
|Cook Political Report Race Rating -- Texas Senate|
|October 4, 2012|
|September 13, 2012|
|August 21, 2012|
|July 12, 2012|
|May 31, 2012|
|May 10, 2012|
|March 22, 2012|
|March 1, 2012|
|January 26, 2012|
|December 22, 2011|
|December 1, 2011|
|U.S. Senate General Election, Texas, 2006|
|Republican||Kay Bailey Hutchison Incumbent||61.7%||2,661,789|
|Democratic||Barbara Ann Radnofsky||36%||1,555,202|
|Libertarian||Scott Lanier Jameson||2.3%||97,672|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Texas, 2012
- United States Senate elections, 2012
- Texas Democrats - candidate list
- Texas GOP - candidate list
- Texas Libertarian Party - candidate list
- Texas Green Party - candidate list
- Texas Secretary of State - Independent candidate list
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Texas"
- Texas Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Calendar," Accessed July 27, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State "You Must Register By...," Accessed July 27, 2012
- Politico "KBH won't run for re-election," January 13, 2011
- Texas Secretary of State, "Important 2012 Election Dates", Accessed July 15, 2011
- Washington Post "Federal court orders May 29 primary date for Texas in redistricting case
- Harris County Democratic Party "2012 March Primary Candidates," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram "Candidate filings for Tarrant, state primary races are over - for now," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Tomball Magnolia Tribune News "Addison announces candidacy for Senate," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Collin County Independent Examiner "The Saddle Up Texas 2012 Straw Poll - Jan 12-14, Huston Texas," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Curt Cleaver campaign website "Curt Cleaver Announces Run for U.S. Senate," Accessed January 6, 2012
- Texas GOP candidates
- Texas Libertarian Party "Candidate list," Accessed July 18, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report-2012 Democratic Party Primary Runoff," accessed August 30, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report-2012 Republican Party Primary Runoff," accessed August 30, 2012
- Politico "KBH won't run for re-election," January 13, 2011
- Houston Chronicle "Texas Republican candidates hold first debate," January 12, 2012
- Austin American-Statesman "Dewhurst on defensive during first Texas U.S. Senate debate," January 12, 2012
- The New York Times, "2012 Senate race ratings," accessed September 17, 2012
- Cook Political Report "Our Accuracy," Accessed December 12, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," October 4, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," September 13, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," August 21, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," July 12, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," May 31, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," May 10, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," March 22, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," March 1, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," January 26, 2012
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 27, 2011
- Cook Political Report "2012 SENATE RACE RATINGS," December 1, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 7, 2006"