|New Jersey General Assembly District 17|
|2002 - Present|
|Years in position||11|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 3, 2009|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Mayor, Franklin Township|
|2000 - 2001|
|Bachelor's||Guindy's Engineering College, India|
|Master's||City College of New York, 1976|
|Place of birth||Nellore, India|
|Profession||Consultant, Rangam Consultants, Inc.|
Chivukula won re-election in 2011. Chivukulaand incumbent Joseph Egan ran unopposed in the Democratic Primary on June 7. They then defeated Carlo Dilalla and Robert Mettler in the November 8 general election.
Running for re-election in the November 3, 2009 general election, Chivukula received 27,815 votes (30%), defeating challengers Salim Nathoo and Anthony Mazzola. He was bracketed with Joseph Egan.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, Seventeenth Legislative District (2009)|
|Joseph V. Egan (D)||29,876|
|Upendra J. Chivukula (D)||28,030|
|Anthony Mazzola (R)||18,023|
|Salim A. Nathoo (R)||16,419|
In 2011, Chivukula received $875,870 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Upendra Chivukula's campaign in 2011|
|New Jersey Democratic Party||$14,557|
|New Jersey Association Of Realtors||$8,500|
|United Water Resources New Jersey||$8,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$875,870|
|Total Votes received in 2011||14,862|
|Cost of each vote received||$58.93|
Below are Chivukula's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2009 election:
|Add Funds Transferred From Prior Campaign||$1,777,261|
|Election Fund Of Joseph V Egan||$44,875|
|New Jersey Education Association||$4,800|
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 9||$4,800|
- A133 Revises laws concerning hate crimes and bullying; establishes Commission on Bullying in Schools.
- A845 Decreases corporation business tax minimum tax rates for new businesses and exempts certain small new businesses from payment of minimum tax.
- A1095 Decreases certain public document copy fees to up to $0.10 or less per letter size page and up to $0.15 or less per legal size page.
- A1626 Requires affordable housing be built to green building standards; requires Commissioner of Community Affairs to issue standards. 
Chivukula's official website lists his main issues as economic development, education, environment, senior citizens, District 17 funding, and Homeland Security.
His answers to the New Jersey State Legislative Election 2005 National Political Awareness Test are available. He did not answer the question asking his top priorities.
Chivukula has been endorsed by:
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Upendra + Chivukula + New Jersey + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Upendra Chivukula for Congress campaign website
- Assemblyman Upendra Chivukula official site
- New Jersey General Assembly - Hon. Upendra Chivukula
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign Contributions: 2011, 2009, 2007, 2003
- Upendra Chivukula on Facebook
- Upendra Chivukula on Twitter
- Upendra Chivukula on YouTube
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Chivukula
- ↑ WYNC "Live! NJ Election Results," June 5, 2012
- ↑ New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List
- ↑ Star Ledger 2009 Election Results, November 4, 2009
- ↑ Official New Jersey Assembly General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign contributions
- ↑ New Jersey Legislature - Bills by Sponsor
- ↑ Assemblyman Chivukula Issues
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Chivukula Issue Positions
- ↑ Politicker NJ, 2011 AFL-CIO endorsed candidates, accessed Aug. 5, 2011
|New Jersey General Assembly District 17
| Succeeded by|
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |
Open Public Records Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |