Utah State Auditor
|Utah State Auditor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$5,186,300|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Utah Constitution, Article VII, Section 1|
|Assumed office:||January 7, 2013|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Utah Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Attorney General •Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Article VII, Section 1:
|The elective constitutional officers of the Executive Department shall consist of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, State Auditor, State Treasurer, and Attorney General...|
Article VII, Section 3 of the Utah Constitution establishes the qualifications of the office:
- a qualified elector
- a resident of Utah for five years next preceding election
- at least 25 years old
...every four years at the time and place of voting for members of the Legislature. The candidates respectively having the highest number of votes cast for the office voted for shall be elected. If two or more candidates have an equal and the highest number of votes for any one of the offices, the two houses of the Legislature at its next session shall elect by joint ballot one of those candidates for that office.
- Per Article VII, Section 1, the newly elected auditor takes office beginning on the first Monday of January next after their election.
|Utah State Auditor General Election, 2012|
|Election Results via Utah Lieutenant Governor.|
In the event of a vacancy in the office of attorney general, treasurer, auditor, or superintendent of public instruction, Article VII, Section 10 of the state constitution allows the governor to fill the vacancy by appointment. The appointee must be from the same political party as the removed officer, and shall hold the office until a successor is elected and qualified.
The auditor holds users of the state's money accountable by performing audits of state and local governments. The specific duties of the state auditor are outlined in Title 67, Chapter 3 of the Utah code:
- audit permanent fund, each special fund, the General Fund, and the accounts of any department of state government or any independent agency or public corporation as the law requires, as the auditor determines is necessary, or upon request of the governor or legislature
- perform audits in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards and other auditing procedures as promulgated by recognized authoritative bodies
- conduct performance and special purpose audits, examinations, and reviews of any entity that receives public funds
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Utah State Auditor has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the State Auditor's Office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $5,186,300.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Utah State Auditor has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Utah + State + Auditor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Office of the Utah State Auditor
Utah State Capitol Complex
Senate Office Building Suite E310
P.O. Box 142310
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Phone: (801) 538-1025