Vermont Secretary of State
|Vermont Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2010 FY Budget:||$8,527,442|
|Length of term:||2 years|
|Assumed office:||January 6, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Vermont Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Board|
Chapter 2, Section 43:
There are no specific qualifications for this office.
In Vermont, state executives are elected in even numbered years; 2010, 2012, and 2014 are all election years.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2000 for the office of Secretary of State of Vermont, Click [show] to expand the section.
The office of the Secretary of State performs a number of important functions:
- Administers a records management program for Vermont public agencies;
- Licenses, certifies, and registers 39 occupations and professions
- Registers all business entities in the state
- Serves as the filing repository for Uniform Commercial Code filings
- Serves at the state's chief election officer
- Administers elections, oversees campaign finance reporting and lobbyist disclosure laws, and encourages civic participation through programs like Kids Voting Vermont and Honor a Vet with your Vote
- Provides local officials and members of the public with information, assistance, and educational materials related to municipal law and practice and the requirements of Vermont's open government laws
- Oversees the filing and publication of administrative rules by all state agencies
- Oversees all of the state's notaries public
- Manages a confidentiality program to help victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking avoid being tracked down by an abuser using state or local public records
The office of the secretary of state includes the following divisions:
- State Archives and Records Administration
- Office of Professional Regulation
- Municipal Programs
- Administrative Procedures Act -Rule Making
- "Safe at Home"
The budget for the Secretary of State's office in Fiscal Year 2010 was $8,527,442.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Vermont Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Vermont + "Secretary of State"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Contact InformationCapitol Address:
Vermont Secretary of State's Office
26 Terrace Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1101
- Phone: (802) 828-2363
- Toll Free Phone: (800) 439-8683
- Fax: (802) 828-2496
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Governor: Peter Shumlin (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Phillip Scott (R)
- Attorney General: William H. Sorrell (D)
- Auditor of State: Doug Hoffer (D)
- Secretary of State: Jim Condos (D)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Chuck Ross
- Treasurer of State: Elizabeth Pearce (D)
- Vermont Secretary of State website, "About the office," accessed December 9, 2011
- Vermont Department of Finance and Management, "FY10 Appropriations Act (2009, Act 1 special session," accessed April 5, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011