Virginia's 10th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 12, 2012
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Virginia has an open primary system, in which any registered voter may choose which party's primary to vote in.
- See also: Virginia elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent is Frank Wolf (R), who was first elected to the House in 1980.
This will be the first election using new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Virginia's 10th congressional district is located in the northern portion of the state, and includes Frederick, Clarke, and Loudon counties and parts of Fairfax County.
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals will be added when official election results are certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
General election candidates
June 12, 2012,, primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Virginia
Following the 2010 Census, Virginia will be redistricted. The state will remain at 11 congressional seats. Redistricting plans were not solidified by the end of the 2011 session of the Virginia General Assembly.
In redistricting, The Hill published a list of the Top Ten House Members who were helped by redistricting. Gerald Connolly ranked 8th on the list. The article notes that Connolly inadvertently benefits from a Republican plan to build up Republican incumbent districts in the redistricting process. Connolly's 11th district will lose portions of its Republican base to neighboring Frank Wolf's 10th district, resulting in a more Democratic district for Connolly.. However, unless Virginia Republicans are able to win two seats in the state House, the plan will not go through and redistricting will be left up to the courts.
On November 2, 2010, Frank Wolf won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Jeffery R. Barnett (D), William B. Redpath (L), and a write-in.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Virginia, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Virginia, 2012
- Virginia State Board of Elections "2012 November Election Calendar," Accessed July 7, 2012
- Virginia Redistricting Map "Map" Accessed September 25, 2012
- Fairfax Times "McLean attorney to challenge Wolf in 10th Congressional District," April 18, 2012
- The Hill "House members most helped by redistricting" Accessed April 17, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer "Virginia's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"