Virginia's 11th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 12, 2012
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Virginia has an open primary system, in which any registered voter may choose which party's primary to vote in.
- See also: Virginia elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent is Gerald Connolly (D), who was first elected to the House in 2008.
General election candidates
June 12, 2012,, primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Virginia
Following the 2010 Census, Virginia will be redistricted. The state will remain at 11 congressional seats. Redistricting plans were not solidified by the end of the 2011 session of the Virginia General Assembly.
In redistricting, The Hill published a list of the Top Ten House Members who were helped by redistricting. Gerald Connolly ranked 8th on the list. The article notes that Connolly inadvertently benefits from a Republican plan to build up Republican incumbent districts in the redistricting process. Connolly's 11th district will lose portions of its Republican base to neighboring Frank Wolf's 10th district, resulting in a more Democratic district for Connolly.. However, unless Virginia Republicans are able to win two seats in the state House, the plan will not go through and redistricting will be left up to the courts.
- 4 percent from the 1st congressional district
- 12 percent from the 8th congressional district
- 10 percent from the 10th congressional district
- 73 percent from the 11th congressional district
On November 2, 2010, Gerry Connolly won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Keith S. Fimian (R), Christopher F. DeCarlo (I), David L. Dotson (L), David William Gillis, Jr. (Independent Green), and a write-in.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Virginia, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Virginia, 2012
- Virginia State Board of Elections "2012 November Election Calendar," Accessed July 7, 2012
- The Hill "Rep. Connolly rules out 2012 Senate run; hopes for Kaine," accessed December 6, 2011
- Politico "Perkins: Ryan plans needs better sales pitch," accessed December 6, 2011
- The Hill "House members most helped by redistricting" Accessed April 17, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer "Virginia's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"