For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Virginia's 3rd Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 12, 2012
Robert C. Scott
Robert C. Scott
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Virginia has an open primary system, in which any registered voter may choose which party's primary to vote in.
- See also: Virginia elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent is Robert C. "Bobby" Scott (D), who was first elected to the House in 1992.
This will be the first election using new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Virginia's 3rd congressional district is located in the eastern portion of the state, and includes Charles City, colonial Heights City, Surry, Hampton City and Norfolk City counties.
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals were added after official election results had been certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
General election candidates
June 12, 2012,, primary results
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Virginia
Following the results of the 2010 Census, Virginia was redistricted in order to more evenly distribute representation among the population.
- 4 percent from the 1st congressional district
- 3 percent from the 2nd congressional district
- 83 percent from the 3rd congressional district
- 3 percent from the 4th congressional district
- 5 percent from the 7th congressional district
On November 2, 2010, Robert Scott won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating C.L. "Chuck" Smith, Jr. (R), John D. Kelly (I), James J. Quigley (L), and a write-in.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Virginia, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Virginia, 2012
- Virginia State Board of Elections "2012 November Election Calendar," Accessed July 7, 2012
- Virginia Redistricting Map "Map" Accessed July 24, 2012
- Washington Post "Scott will not run for U.S. Senate race; endorses Kaine," accessed December 6, 2011
- Chuck Smith 2012 Campaign website, accessed December 6, 2011
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer "Virginia's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"