Virginia Secretary of State
|Virginia Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$1,915,830|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Code of Virginia, Title 2.2, Chapter 4|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Name:||Janet Vestal Kelly|
|Assumed office:||January 24, 2010|
|Other Virginia Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Title 2.2, Chapter 4 of the Code of Virginia establishes the position of Secretary of the Commonwealth:
"The Secretary of the Commonwealth, who shall be ex officio Secretary to the Governor, shall be in direct charge of the division of records."
Title 2.2, Chapter 4 of the Code of Virginia sets the term of the secretary. The position shall be filled by gubernatorial appointment, with confirmation by the state assembly "for a term commencing on the Monday after the third Wednesday in January" after the governor's inauguration. The secretary serves a term of four years.
In the event of a vacancy in the office of secretary, state code requires the governor to appoint a successor, subject to confirmation from the state assembly, to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Serving as the keeper of the Seal of the Commonwealth
- Assisting the governor in the appointment of thousands of individuals to serve on state boards and commissions
- Issuing the Commissions of Notaries Public
- Authentication of documents
- Registering lobbyists
- Issuing the "Bluebook", officially "The Report of the Secretary of the Commonwealth," an annual publication that identifies, "(a) the boards of visitors of all public institutions, and other boards appointed by the Governor; (b) all commissions issued under appointments made by the Governor, except commissions to notaries public; (c) all departments, boards, councils, commissions, and other collegial bodies created in the executive branch of state government; and (d) such other matters as the Governor requires. " - The Report as defined by the Code of Virginia
- Issuing a State Government Organization Chart
- Handling pardons and clemencies, restoration of civil rights of former felons, extradition, and service of process. Although the Secretary is involved, the Governor is responsible for granting pardons, clemency, and restorations of rights, as well as authorizing extradition. The Secretary of the Commonwealth's Office handles the paperwork on behalf of the Governor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Virginia Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Office in Fiscal Year 2012 was $1,915,830.
Under state code, the compensation of the secretary is fixed by law. In 2011, the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth was paid an estimated $152,793, according to the Council of State Governments.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Virginia Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Virginia + "Secretary of the Commonwealth"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth
1111 East Broad Street, 4th Floor
Richmond, Virginia 23219
P.O. Box 2454
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 786-2441
- Janet Vestal Kelly, Virginia Secretary of State
- Governor of Virginia
- Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- Attorney General of Virginia
- Virginia Constitution
- Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Janet Vestal Polarek biography," accessed February 8, 2012
- Virginia Legislature, "Code of Virginia- Title 2.2 - ADMINISTRATION OF GOVERNMENT," Accessed December 26, 2012
- Constitution of Virginia, Article V, Section 10
- Code of Virginia, "Title 2.2: Administration of Government, Chapter 4, Section 100, "Appointment and term of office; filling vacancies; oath," accessed February 8, 2012
- Virginia Budget Appropriations Database, "Final Budget for the 2010-2012 Biennium," accessed April 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "Table 4.11 Selected state administrative officials: Annual salaries by region," retrieved February 1, 2012