Difference between revisions of "Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction"
(→Compensation: 2013 compensation update)
(→See also: ed links)
|Line 103:||Line 103:|
*[[Superintendent of Schools]]
*[[Superintendent of Schools]]
Revision as of 10:05, 31 January 2014
|Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$4,804,349|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Governor|
|Authority:||Virginia Code, Title 22.1, Chapter 3, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||October 1, 2008|
|Other Virginia Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The position of superintendent is created in Title 22.1, Chapter 3 of the Code of Virginia.
Title 22.1, Chapter 3, Section 1:
|The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall be appointed by the Governor, after consultation with the Board of Education among others, subject to confirmation by the General Assembly, for a term coincident with that of the Governor making the appointment. Any vacancy shall be filled in the same manner. The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall be an experienced educator.|
Under state law, the "Superintendent of Public Instruction shall be an experienced educator."
Title 2.2, Chapter 4, Section 200 of the Code of Virginia authorizes the governor to appoint the secretaries of: state, agriculture and forestry, education and natural resources, among others. The appointments are subject to confirmation by the state General Assembly and the appointees, with the exception of the secretary of state, "hold office at the pleasure of the Governor." For the superintendent, the governor must also consult with the State Board of Education before making an appointment.
Any vacancies in the office of superintendent shall be filled in the same manner as an officeholder is appointed: the Governor of Virginia consults with the State Board of Education and appoints a successor, subject to confirmation from the Virginia General Assembly.
According to Title 22.1, Chapter 3 of the Code of Virginia, the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall:
- Serve as secretary of the Board of Education;
- Provide such assistance in his office as shall be necessary for the proper and uniform enforcement of the provisions of the school laws in cooperation with the local school authorities;
- Prepare and furnish such forms for attendance officers, teachers and other school officials as are required by law;
- (Expires July 1, 2015) At least annually, survey all local school divisions to identify critical shortages of teachers and administrative personnel by geographic area, by school division, or by subject matter, and report such critical shortages to each local school division and to the Virginia Retirement System;
- Along with the State Health Commissioner, work to combat childhood obesity and other chronic health conditions that affect school-age children; and
- Perform such other duties as the Board of Education may prescribe.
The Virginia Department of Education is made up of the following divisions:
- Student Assessment and School Improvement
- Finance and Operations
- Policy and Communications
- Special Education and Student Services
- Teacher Education and Licensure
- Technology, Career and Adult Education
The budget for the Secretary of Education's Office in Fiscal Year 2012 was $.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Virginia + Superintendent + "Public Instruction"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23218
James Monroe Building
101 N. 14th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
- Superintendent of Schools
- Patricia Wright
- Virginia school districts
- Virginia Department of Education
- Code of Virginia, "Title 22.1, Chapter 3, Section 1: Appointment and qualifications," accessed February 8, 2012
- Code of Virginia, "Title 2.2, Chapter 4, Section 200: Appointment of governor's secretaries; general powers; severance," accessed February 8, 2012
- Code of Virginia, "Title 22.1-23: Duties in general," accessed February 8, 2012
- Virginia Department of Education, " Organization chart," accessed January 18, 2013
- Virginia Budget Appropriations Database, "Final Budget for the 2010-2012 Biennium," accessed April 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "Table 4.11 Selected state administrative officials: Annual salaries by region," retrieved February 1, 2012