Virginia elections, 2013
- Signature filing deadline: March 28, 2013 (Note: The deadline to file for the general election for Independent party candidates is June 17 and June 11 for non-party candidates.)
- Voter registration deadline for Primary election: May 20, 2013
- Primary date: June 11, 2013. Virginia has an open primary system.
- Voter registration deadline for General election: October 14, 2013.
- General election date: November 5, 2013. Same day registration is not permitted. Voter ID is required. If a voter arrives without identification he or she will have the opportunity to cast a provisional ballot and then deliver a copy of their ID to the local election board. 
|On the 2013 ballot|
|Ballot measures (0 measure)|
State Senate District 14
- Related: See election information here.
- See also: Virginia state legislative special elections, 2013
- See also: Absentee Voting
Voters are eligible to vote absentee in an election if they cannot make it to the polls on election day for one of the following reasons:
- Student attending college or university outside of locality of residence in Virginia
- Spouse of student attending college or university outside locality of residence in Virginia
- Business outside County/City of residence on election day
- Personal business or vacation outside County/City of residence on election day
- Working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more hours between 6 AM and 7 PM on election day
- First responder (law enforcement, fire fighter, emergency technician, etc.)
- Disability or illness
- Primarily and personally responsible for the care of a disabled/ill family member confined at home
- Confined, awaiting trial
- Confined, convicted of misdemeanor
- Electoral board member, registrar, officer of election, or custodian of voting equipment
- Religious obligation
- Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces
- Spouse or dependent living with Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces member
- Temporarily residing outside U.S.
- Temporarily residing outside of U.S. for employment or spouse or dependent residing with employee
- Requesting a ballot for presidential and vice-presidential electors only
- Authorized representative of candidate or party serving inside the polling place
To vote absentee by mail, the deadline to apply is 5 PM EST on the Tuesday prior to the election. To vote absentee in person, the deadline to apply is the Saturday before the election. The ballot must then be returned by close of polls on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
A House subcommittee rejected a bill that would allow citizens to vote absentee without requiring a reason for doing so. The reason stated for rejecting the bill was a lack of resources. Win Sowder of the Williamsburg registrar's office said, "This would be a real burden on our office. Our office is really small and early absentee voting would set us up for failure."
- See also: Early voting
Virginia is one of eight states that allow early voting but require an excuse to vote early (reasons are the same as those for absentee voting, detailed above). Early voting begins as soon as ballots become available and ends on the Saturday before the election.
Elections Performance Index
Virginia ranked 25th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen to in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Virginia received an overall score of 65%.
- Virginia State Board of Elections "Voter Information: Registration Deadlines," Accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections "2013 November Election Calendar," Accessed March 18, 2013
- Virgina State Board of Elections "Voter Information Registering to Vote" Accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections "Voter ID Requirements in Virginia" Accessed March 18, 2013
- washingtonpost.com, "Special election set Aug. 6 for seat being vacated by Chesapeake state senator," April 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Virginia Absentee Ballot Application Form," accessed December 16, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Absentee Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
- TimesDispatch.com, "Va. House subcommittee rejects 1 absentee voting bill, backs another," January 15, 2013
- Long Distance Voter "Early Voting Rules," accessed December 16, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures "Absentee and Early Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014