|New York State Assembly District 53|
|1985 - Present|
|January 7, 2013|
|Years in position||29|
|Per diem||$61/half day and $171/full day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Place of birth||Brooklyn, NY|
Lopez's professional experiences include instructor at Yeshiva University, Molloy College, and Empire State College; and part-time adjunct professor of Human Services at LaGuardia College.
Lopez earned a BS in business administration from Long Island University, Brooklyn and MSW from Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Lopez has been appointed to the following committees:
- Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry Committee, New York State Assembly
- Housing Committee, New York State Assembly, Chair
- Rules Committee, New York State Assembly
- Social Services Committee, New York State Assembly
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Lopez served on the following committees:
- Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry Committee, New York Assembly
- Housing Committee, New York Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York Assembly
- Social Services Committee, New York Assembly
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2012
Lopez is running in the 2012 election for New York State Assembly District 53. He is running unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 13, 2012. Richy Garcia is running unopposed in the Republican primary. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012. 
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
|New York State Assembly, District 53 2010|
|Vito Lopez (D)||12,892|
|Byron Orozco (R)||1,481|
On November 4, 2008 Lopez won re-election to the New York State Assembly, District 53, defeating opponent Frances Cutrone (R).
Lopez raised $452,552 for his campaign while Cutrone raised $0.
|New York State Assembly, District 53 2008|
|Vito Lopez (D)||25,733|
|Frances Cutrone (R)||1,531|
In 2010, Lopez received $444,064 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New York State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Vito Lopez's campaign in 2010|
|Friends Of Carl Kruger||$5,100|
|New York State Supreme Court Officers Association||$4,000|
|All New York Title Agency||$4,000|
|Gigante, Louis R||$3,800|
|Total Raised in 2010||$444,064|
In 2008, a year in which Lopez was up for re-election, he collected $452,552 in donations.
The major contributors were:
|New York State Association for Affordable Housing||$5,345|
|Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker||$4,000|
|11 individual donations each of:||$3,800|
Following an internal ethics committee investigation, the New York State Assembly censured Lopez on August 24, 2012, when allegations of sexual harassment brought by two female employees were substantiated. Soon after, it was reported that the Assembly made a secret payment of $103,080 on June 13 in order to settle previous allegations made by two other women, which never went to the ethics committee.
Speaker of the House Sheldon Silver (D) approved the settlement, but once it came to light said it was the wrong decision. “I take full responsibility in not insisting that all cases go to the ethics committee. While that opinion is both legally correct and ethical and can result in a resolution sought by complaining employees, I now believe it was the wrong one from the perspective of transparency,” he stated.
A number of officials and individuals, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), called for a full investigation. Lopez, meanwhile, insisted that he did nothing wrong and would not resign his seat, but did give up his position as chair of the Brooklyn Democratic Party.
- New York Assembly - Rep. Vito Lopez
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Lopez
- State of New York, State Board of Elections, Candidate Petition List, retrieved August 15, 2012.
- New York Daily News, "32BJ/SEIU Endorses For State Senate, Assembly," August 1, 2012
- New York Times NY state legislative election results
- Follow the Money's report 2008 Campaign donations in New York
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- 2008 contributions to Vito Lopez
- New York Times, "Assembly Leader Admits Fault as Critics Assail Secret Payoff," August 28, 2012
- New York Daily News, "Vito Lopez Gives Up On Staying Brooklyn Democratic Party Chairman," August 28, 2012
|New York Assembly - District 53
| Succeeded by|
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |