Voting in Connecticut
Voting in 2014 Primaries
Ballot access for major and minor party candidates
Absentee voting • Early voting
Open Primary • Closed Primary • Blanket Primary
Online voter registration in the 50 states
When and where
Registration is available beginning on the 31st day before a general election or on the 21st day before a primary. Applications can be printed and must then be postmarked by the 5th day before a primary or by the 14th day before an election. You may also register in person until noon on the last business day before a primary or up to 7 days before a general election.
Connecticut passed legislation in 2012 authorizing online voter registration, but a system has not yet been implemented.
Voting on election day
First-time voters are required to present identification. Valid ID includes photo identification that features your name and address or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on election day for one of the following reasons:
- You will be actively serving in the U.S. armed forces
- You will be absent from town during all the hours of voting
- You are ill
- You have a physical disability which makes it difficult for you to get to the polls
- Your religion forbids you from participating in non-religious activities on election day
- Your required performance of duties as a primary, referendum, or election official at a polling place other than your own during all the hours on election day
The absentee ballot must be returned either in person by close of business the day before the election or by mail. If returned by mail, it must be received by close of polls on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
There is no early voting in Connecticut.
- Voter registration deadlines
- San Francisco Chronicle, "New Conn. voter registration deadline approaching," November 1, 2012
- Voter ID info
- All You Need To Know About Absentee Ballots, "Information for Candidates, Party and Campaign Workers," accessed December 18, 2013
- Federal Voting Assistance Program, "Connecticut," accessed December 18, 2013