Washington Commissioner of Insurance
|Washington Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$51,961,000|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Washington Code - 48.02.010|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Washington Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education• • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner• Natural Resources Commissioner• Labor Commissioner• Public Service Commissioner|
The office of the insurance commissioner is responsible for overseeing the state insurance industry.
The current officeholder is Mike Kreidler (D). He has served in this position since 2001.
The office of insurance commissioner is established in the Washington Code.
Washington Code - 48.02.010:
|There shall be an insurance commissioner of this state who shall be elected at the time and in the manner that other state officers are elected.|
|Qualifications, Compensation, Offices Which May Be Abolished. No person, except a citizen of the United States and a qualified elector of this state, shall be eligible to hold any state office...|
- a citizen of the United States
- a qualified elector in Washington
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Washington Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The mission of the office of the insurance commissioner is to "protect consumers, the public interest and our state’s economy through fair and efficient regulation of the insurance industry."
- Answering questions and investigating problems from consumers.
- Recovering money for consumers with insurance disputes or delays.
- Licensing and auditing the 48 insurers based in Washington and monitoring others that do business in the state.
- Testing, licensing and monitoring the individuals and businesses that sell insurance in the state.
In Washington, the insurance commissioner is elected every four years. Elections are held in November and winners assume office the following January, serving until their successors are elected and qualified.
Washington elects insurance commissioners in presidential years (2012, 2016, and 2020).
To view the electoral history dating back to 2000 for the office of Washington Commissioner of Insurance, Click [show] to expand the section.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Washington Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the Commissioner of Insurance's Office in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $51,961,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Washington Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Washington State" + Insurance + Commissioner
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Medical advocates decry insurance rules in Wash. state on waiting period for ... - Washington Post
- GOP Senator has Washington's Insurance Commissioner in her sights - Crosscut
- Washington state's health plan exchange frustrating consumers and brokers alike - Dailysunnews
- Washington Insurance Commissioner Combats $250K in Insurance Fraud in 2013 - ClaimsJournal.com
- Washington Commissioner: Prevented $250K In Insurance Fraud In 2013 - Insurance Journal
- Symetra Life Insurance Company Files Application to Redomesticate from ... - Wall Street Journal
- People behind the Washington state health exchange: Bill Baldwin - Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle) (blog)
- Panel discusses access to quality care | Washington State Office of the ... - Bonney Lake and Sumner Courier-Herald
- State prevents nearly $250000 in insurance fraud in 2013 - Issaquah Press
- Small employers can still get tax credit despite delay of SHOP - Kitsap Peninsula Business Journal
Office of the Washington Insurance Commissioner
Capitol Campus - Olympia
P.O. Box 40255
Olympia, WA 98504-0255
302 Sid Snyder Ave., SW, Suite 200
Olympia, WA 98504-0255
Free insurance consumer hotline: 1-800-562-6900
- Washington State Code, "RCW 48.02.010," accessed December 28, 2012
- Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner, "About Us," accessed December 28, 2012
- Washington Office of Financial Management, "2011-13 Operating Budget," accessed April 4, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014