Washington County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Washington County Public Schools 2009-2010 budget is available. The 2010-2011 budget calendar is also available.
- School Board meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education School Report Card.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Washington County School Board Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Salary scale and benefits information is available.
- The School Board’s financial information is included in Washington County’s 2009 Audit Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Revenue details regarding federal, state, and local funds are not included in the budget document.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Elizabeth P. Lowe, Chair||A-01 "Harrison" District|
|Billy W. Brooks, Vice Chair||F-01 "Tyler" District|
|J. Sanders Henderson III||B-01 "Jefferson" District|
|Buckey Boone||C-01 "Madison" District|
|Dayton Owens||D-01 "Monroe" District|
|Tom Musick||E-01 "Taylor" District|
|Herschel Stevens||G-01 "Wilson" District|
The current interim division superintendent is Mr. Jim Sullivan.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Washington County Public Schools 2009-2010 expenditures budget totaled $80,312,539.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Washington County Public Schools as having a student population of 7,486 and 15 schools in the division.
Washington County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Abingdon Elementary||Pre-K - 5||464||Yes|
|Abingdon High||9 - 12||968||Yes|
|Damascus Middle||6 - 8||218||Yes|
|E.B. Stanley Middle||6 - 8||685||No|
|Glade Spring Middle||6 - 8||295||No|
|Greendale Elementary||Pre-K – 5||367||Yes|
|High Point Elementary||Pre-K – 5||586||Yes|
|Holston High||9 - 12||300||Yes|
|John S. Battle High||9 - 12||630||Yes|
|Meadowview Elementary||Pre-K - 5||676||No|
|Patrick Henry High||9 – 12||446||Yes|
|Rhea Valley Elementary||Pre-K - 5||478||Yes|
|Valley Institute Elementary||Pre-K - 5||319||Yes|
|Wallace Middle||6 – 8||460||Yes|
|Watauga Elementary||Pre-K - 5||594||Yes|
- Washington County Public Schools Official Website
- Washington County Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Finance, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, 2010-2011 Budget Calendar, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, BoardDocs, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Contact, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, School Board Members, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Schools, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Policy Manual, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Human Resources, July 29, 2010
- ‘Washington County Public Schools’, Audit and Credit Analysis Reports, July 29, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Washington County Public Schools, July 29, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010