Washington Director of Agriculture
|Washington Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$61,465,000|
|Authority:||Washington Code - 43.23.002|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||April 1, 2013|
|Other Washington Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education• • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner• Natural Resources Commissioner• Labor Commissioner• Public Service Commissioner|
The director of agriculture is responsible for promoting and protecting agriculture and its dependent rural community in Washington state.
Hover took office April 1, 2013, replacing Dan Newhouse.
The office of the Director of Agriculture is established in the Washington Code.
Washington Code - 43.23.002:
|The executive and administrative head of the department of agriculture shall be the director. The director shall be appointed by the governor with the consent of the senate and shall have complete charge of and supervisory power over the department.|
|Qualifications, Compensation, Offices Which May Be Abolished. No person, except a citizen of the United States and a qualified elector of this state, shall be eligible to hold any state office...|
- a citizen of the United States
- a qualified elector in Washington
The director of agriculture is appointed by the governor with the consent of the Senate.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Washington Director of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The director of agriculture is responsible for the development of markets for agricultural products, state and federal marketing programs, land utilization for agricultural purposes, water resources, transportation, and farm labor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Washington Director of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Washington Director of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Washington State" + Agriculture + Director
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- American Farmland Trust survey shows state funding For agricultural land ... - Farm and Ranch Guide
- Compass: State should back STEM academies in Alaska - Anchorage Daily News
- Bill would bar agricultural tax breaks for pot producers - The Seattle Times
- In solidarity, Senate women help female candidates - Washington Post
- Labeling of genetically modified food back after failure of I-522 - Bainbridge Island Review
- Manure Spill Leads to $6000 Fine for Washington Dairy - AgWeb
- Whole Foods to ban use of biosolids on produce - The Packer
- Illinois Medical Marijuana Rules: State Wants You To Choose Between Your ... - Huffington Post
- Some brewers of craft beers face hops shortage - Agri News
- See where the product ends up - Midwest Producer
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Natural Resources Building
P.O. Box 42560
1111 Washington ST SE
Olympia, WA 98504-2560
Phone: (360) 902-1800
- Governor: Jay Inslee (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Brad Owen (D)
- Attorney General: Bob Ferguson (D)
- Auditor of State: Troy Kelley (D)
- Secretary of State: Kim Wyman (R)
- Director of Agriculture: Bud Hover
- Treasurer of State: James McIntire (D)
- Washington State Department of Agriculture
- Washington State Department of Agriculture on Facebook
- Washington State Department of Agriculture on Twitter
- Yakima Herald-Republic, "Inslee appoints Okanogan County farmer as state’s new ag director," March 13, 2013
- Washington State Code, "RCW 43.23.002," accessed December 28, 2012
- Washington State Code, "RCW 43.23.030" accessed December 28, 2012
- Washington Office of Financial Management, "2011-13 Operating Budget," accessed April 4, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 7, 2011