|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$14,996,000|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Washington Constitution, Article 3, Section 2|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Washington Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education• • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner• Natural Resources Commissioner• Labor Commissioner• Public Service Commissioner|
Article III, Section 2:
Executive Department. The executive department shall consist of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, treasurer, auditor, attorney general, superintendent of public instruction, and a commissioner of public lands, who shall be severally chosen by the qualified electors of the state at the same time and place of voting as for the members of the legislature.
|Qualifications, Compensation, Offices Which May Be Abolished. No person, except a citizen of the United States and a qualified elector of this state, shall be eligible to hold any state office...|
- a citizen of the United States
- a qualified elector in Washington
In Washington, the governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, treasurer, auditor, attorney general, superintendent of public instruction, and commissioner of public lands are elected every four years. Elections are held in November and winners assume office the following January, serving until their successors are elected and qualified.
Washington elects their state executives in presidential years (2012, 2016, and 2020).
- 2012 General Election Results for Washington Treasurer
|Washington Treasurer General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||James McIntire Incumbent||58.7%||1,695,401|
|Election Results via Washington Secretary of State.|
In the event of a vacancy in this office, the governor shall fill the vacancy by appointment. The term of the appointee expires when a successor has been elected and qualified.
The specific duties of the attorney general are outlines in Chapter 43 of the Washington state laws:
- Receive and keep all moneys of the state in the manner provided in RCW 43.88.160, as now or hereafter amended;
- Disburse the public moneys only upon warrants or checks drawn upon the treasurer in the manner provided by law;
- Account for moneys in the manner provided by law;
- Render accounts in the manner provided by law;
- Indorse on each warrant when required by law, the date of payment, the amount of the principal, and the interest due on that date;
- Report annually to the legislature a detailed statement of the condition of the treasury, and of its operations for the preceding fiscal year;
- Give information, in writing, to either house of the legislature, whenever required, upon any subject connected with the treasury, or touching any duty of his or her office;
- Account for and pay over all moneys on hand to his or her successor in office, and deliver all books, vouchers, and effects of office to him or her, who shall receipt therefore;
- Upon payment of any warrant, or check, take upon the back thereof the indorsement of the person to whom it is paid.
The treasurer also sits on the State Investment Board, Housing Finance Commission, State Finance Committee, Public Deposit Protection Commission, GET Board, and the Economic Development Finance Authority.
The treasurer is aided by three deputy treasurers who each manage a different division of the office:
- Debt Management
The budget for the Treasurer's Office in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $14,996,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Article III, Section 19 of the state constitution initially set the annual salary of the treasurer at $2,000 but allowed for the state legislature to increase it. In 2010, the treasurer was paid an estimated $116,950, according to the Council of State Governments.
Washington State Treasurer
416 Sid Snyder Building Avenue SW
Legislative Building, Room 230
Olympia Washington, WA 98504
- Phone: 360-902-9000
- TTY users dial 711
- Fax: 360-902-9045
- E-mail: James McIntire
- E-mail: General information